Join to get full access.
Not being logged in means you will not get access to The Player Discussion Boards.
-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

This title has been disabled...

I go to play PotBS this evening, but when I run the launcher I get the message:
"This title has been disabled due to a possible malicious activity. Please check for malicious software running from your machine. Exiting.."

Any clues?
Because my AV seems quite happy that my computer is just fine. So it seems pretty damn presumptuous of BitRaider to decide my computer is at fault. 

I uninstalled BitRaider and the game, tried reinstalling, but same message as obviously BitRaider (the game launcher) just shuts itself down, no files downloaded or even an attempt made.

So, kinda stuck now. As my computer has only been used for Netflix for the last 2 days since I last played, I'm baffled.
Love the community? Get paid features, like more ships storage, more building slots, but most importantly: spend a vote for continuing the fun.
https://account.portalusgames.com/store

Answers

• Just tried installing the game on another computer in my household. Same result.

Said computer hasn't been turned on in months. So I'm inclined to believe it either has nothing to do with my computer at all, or its something to do with my network. Still, any answers greatly appreciated.

Love the community? Get paid features, like more ships storage, more building slots, but most importantly: spend a vote for continuing the fun.
  • KasparKKasparK (Forum Administrator)
    1. Did you change any game/launcher files?

2. Reaudit files via the alternative method : https://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/comment/1335329/#Comment_1335329

3. If the above does not help - Run game directly via potbs.exe

Support your game. Head over to the BSN-store:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Store
  • edited April 28
    1.Nah. And that couldn't apply to different computer that has never had the game installed..?
    2. I cannot start the launcher. So I can't get to that button.
    3. Would have been great if I hadn't uninstalled the game thinking reinstalling it would help. Sadly the launcher is needed to reinstall the game. Unless anyone knows better?

edit:
    Exhausted my limited know-how. Heres a video of the little there is actually to see. 
    Post edited by Galbadine on
    1. I was reading your first post and typing my reply - while you posted your second.

2. Please re-read the instructions - the alternative method DOES NOT require you to be able to launch the launcher and get to the button.

3. Did you unstall the game or di you uninstall the bitraider launcher - please go to your game install folder (not bitraider folder).
    3A Game files can be downloaded in alternative ways.
    1 is download of a zip containg bitraider files - which may fix your issue, if the above does not.
    another is download of game files.

Before going to 3A - I would do a manual cleanup of bitraider files and do a reinstall of bitraider - but we'll get to that.
  • 1. Sorry.
    2. I'm still a little confused as to how a damaged launcher could get onto a second computer, but ill go through the thread and see if I can find anything useful.
    3. The game.
    3A. I'll try getting rid of the bitraider files and start over. But again, I thought a new computer would take care of that.
    edited April 28
    1. np
    2. if "malicious activity" is virus/malware or perhaps a network issue -  then it is not due to a damaged launcher and not locked to a single pc.
    3. oh, you could just have launched it directly and we could try and solve the bitraider issue on the side.

3A
    Before you cleanup files - please send logfiles to me
    https://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/100459/logfiles

Then try with Alternative Installation(A)
    Note that it is (A)

if that does not work then go to Alternative Installation (B)
  • edited April 28
    Ok, tried the alternative method. No dice.
    So manually installed bitraider files as per your instructions. No dice.
    Tried alternative method after manual reinstall. It gets a little further:

But still the same end result, nothing starts up after the end of the video.
    If I don't click anything on the launcher it just closes after a few seconds.

Edit: Didnt see your second post. On it now.
  • edited April 28
    I see you initially started the installer from a folder in onedrive.
    Later on you start it from your desktop.
    Have you downloaded a new installer or is it the same file you use?

I also see "invalid response".

Have not gone over the entire log yet.
    I scrolled to the button of the 196 pages ;-)

At first invalid response and title disabled is logged together

Later on it is only:
    "CRIT]This title has been disabled due to a possible malicious activity.
    Please check for malicious software running from your machine. Exiting.."

The last logged runs does not contain that warning and looks pretty normal.

Did I mistake your last post "Downloading game files now" perhaps - it is bitraider that is downloading game files?

• edited April 28
    I also have the same problem on both computers as well as other players i play with  getting the same malicious activity alert, This all started for us Friday. i can not even download on other comps without getting the same warning

• edited April 28
    Sorry was watching Infinity War in preparation for the movie run :-D

No, bit raider isnt working. I set the game zip file from "if that does not work then go to Alternative Installation (B)" downloading before the movie went on.

I've always run the game from OneDrive. I re-downloaded it about 3 times and tried running it from different locations in case OneDrive was somehow involved. It didn't help.

The last logged runs are presumably the ones in the last video I posted. But it always shows the "malicious activity" warning.

I've a day off tomorrow. I'll try to get the game running with method (B), but if I had to guess, as I'm not the only one. I think its out of my hands :( 
    Shame, I was really enjoying the game.

And I appriciate the help, really. Thanks :-)

• Myself and several other friends that play Pirates have had the same issue that started on Friday afternoon PST
    @von trapp @Capt Norfolk
    I would like logs from you guys aswell, please.

Please run potbs.exe directly from the game install folder. 
    See here on how you can find your installation path/folder https://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/comment/1335331/#Comment_1335331
    (I am NOT directing you to do any uninstall or reinstall)

I tested on my own install last night - no issue.
    Have tested on a test setup - removed game files - bitraider is running, downloading - no issue as of yet.

@Galbadine
    In your last video at 0.05 - can you give me a screenshot of "Show more details", thank you.

edited April 29
    @Galbadine regarding the screenshot:
    you would have to click "Show more details" and then something like "show more information about certificate" - wording may vary depending windows install language - but you should not have any doubt as to which one I am referring.

@Capt Norfolk your information about the issue starting friday fit very well with what I am seeing on the certifacate info - it was rewoked on april 27th.
    (The current installer version 1.4.0.7038 is from 2015)
    (Edit > add: von trapp mentioned friday aswell)

This could very well be the cause.
    That being the cause is ofc just my guess atm.
    What does not fit the picture is that I get no issue.(my test install is about 60% through game files download). 
    I am forwarding findings.
    Post edited by KasparK on
    Update on test-install:
    Download finished, game run - no issue.
    Closed game, re-run (launched via BitRaider) - no issue.
  • edited April 29
    Video requested:

Ive download the game as a zip. One of the download links is broken, the Google Drive one still works.

The game works perfectly without bitraider.

For others having trouble if you still have the game files and didn’t uninstall them like I did, into Program Files (x86), find the Pirates of the Burning Sea folder and scroll down to the executable, create shortcut and away you go.
    KasparK has this covered above

For those like me, who don’t have the game files any more (I uninstalled the game thinking reinstalling would help, but it wasn’t the game at fault), alternate install (B) using the google drive link works. Download, unzip and copy the folders on top of the ones of the same name in your system, except “Dependencies”.
    Which if you’ve played before shouldn’t be needed.

edit: I’ve just realised that many of those fields have more info if expanded. Let me know if you need mor than that I’ll help how I can.
  • please note that once the game is installed, you do NOT need to run bitraider (it just slows it all down) just run the potbs.exe file. much faster loading. bitraider is used for game updates, so kinda not used for years!
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    @Galbadine
    Unzipping the game files to anywhere would let you run the game.
    In sorts it is portable (does actually not have to be installed nor be at a specific path location) only requirement it that the dependencies are installed.

No, I have the info I needed from your video - it showed what I saw in my end.

As @Captain Mohag said - the launcher is not needed in order to run the game.
    It is needed in order to download game files, will install dependencies, can be used to launch the game and rectify file damage/corruption(fx. due to a crash/un-expected closure of the game) by redownloading/replacing damaged/corrupted files.
    It is that last part that causes launch of the game to take longer if launched through bitraider launcher(as it per default perform a limited audit of files. A full audit performs full check of pure data files aswell ie pigg files).

Forwarded/reported findings have been acknowledged.
    Sadly the time of me reporting it was evening time in their end so I image they just started looking at it.
  • I'm bhack playing now, so I'm happy.
    Thanks for the help.

Hopefully its a simple fix.
    yw
    Made a clean installed windows setup.
    Bitraider running, game files download is at 17% - no issue.

The rewoked certificate seems normal - other various installers .exe files have the same rewoked status and validity date surpassed.
    Neither my usual rig, usual test setup nor the install on fresh installed windows have the issue.

@Galbadine which virus protection(s) do you use?

@Capt Norfolk @von trapp it would be appreciated if you could send us your logs and which virus protection(s) you use.
  • edited April 30
    Norton on one machine. Avast on the other. 
    So unlikely to be that.

I dont know if it helps alone but maybe the others could say to: I am on Talk Talk as my ISP, using their router.
    Post edited by Galbadine on
    edited April 30
    Galbadine said:
    Norton on one machine. Avast on the other. 
    So unlikely to be that.
    Thank you.

Looking for common factors.

Can you check if you get the same message if installing for the test-server?
    https://burningsea.com/download-test
    (needs to go in seperate install folder than the regular install)

Could you send me the content of 

C:\ProgramData\Bitraider\BRDefault.ini
    C:\ProgramData\Bitraider\common.ini

I would like them - if any logs older than 2019/04/28 16.55 are present here
    C:\ProgramData\Bitraider\common\logs\BRWCARC
  • edited April 30
    BRDefault:

[]

[BRWC]
    DefaultPackageID=potbs

Common:

[]

[potbs]
    SupportVersion=1.4.0
    SupportCRC=5C00A8AF
    Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Pirates of the Burning Sea\

Theres nothing in C:\ProgramData\Bitraider\common\logs\ called BRWCARC, just BR_Debuglog.

I'll give the test server a go in a bit, and get back to you :-)

edit:
    Running the https://burningsea.com/download-test file produces the same warning.
    Thank you.

Think we gotta await some info from BitRaider.
  • edited April 30
    I am using Norton as well,  2 of my friends are using Norton as well. though my 1 comp with Mcafee will not work  either. it definitely seems to be with bit raider. a friend stated he ran into this issue with bitraider and some Star wars game they play.  Unfortunately we all deleted and attempted re installs , but no luck.    Norton has full permission for it to run. 

edited April 30
    von trapp said:
    I am using Norton as well,  2 of my friends are using Norton as well. though my 1 comp with Mcafee will not work  either. it definitely seems to be with bit raider. a friend stated he ran into this issue with bitraider and some Star wars game they play.  Unfortunately we all deleted and attempted re installs , but no luck.    Norton has full permission for it to run. 

Thank you, I have McAfee.

Logs should not be removed by uninstall unless you cleaned it up manually.

Please check for logs
    https://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/100459/logfiles
    Post edited by KasparK on