Join to get full access.
Not being logged in means you will not get access to The Player Discussion Boards.
-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

Lag Help

Hello Again,

Wondering if someone can help me with this issue. The game is lagging when I am on the OS. Avatar movement works just fine. However, the ship on the OS shows the animation for the sails but it doesn't move and appears to maybe turn until I decide to put throttle to 0 upon which the game loads and my ship has moved and turned. I barely made it back to port after 10 min of playing around. I have tried putting the graphics on lowest settings as well as highest and have not noticed a difference. I have also tried logging in and out a few times.

Any help on this issue would be helpful? I cannot really play until I figure a way around it.

Comments

• KasparKKasparK (Forum Administrator)
    Support your game. Head over to the BSN-store:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Store
  • edited February 1
    I have a similar issue.
    About a third of the time I enter a naval battle mission the ship does not respond to my commands. I'll move forward with full sails (which the animation starts to do) then it resets to my starting location with sails down. Rinse and repeat and the same thing happens for a while. Then suddenly I'm halfway across the map with damage everywhere. I try to control the ship but again it lags out.

Then I close the game down and rush through the login screens to reconnect to the battle. Then the ship is responsive and I can play. But there is a good chance that my ship has already been sunk.

Makes me not really want to PvP with this issue.

Interestingly when I relaunch the game (after the issue is affecting me in battle) the launcher has to reinstall a package.
  • Tickler said:

I have a similar issue.
    About a third of the time I enter a naval battle mission the ship does not respond to my commands. I'll move forward with full sails (which the animation starts to do) then it resets to my starting location with sails down. Rinse and repeat and the same thing happens for a while. Then suddenly I'm halfway across the map with damage everywhere. I try to control the ship but again it lags out.

Then I close the game down and rush through the login screens to reconnect to the battle. Then the ship is responsive and I can play. But there is a good chance that my ship has already been sunk.

Makes me not really want to PvP with this issue.

Interestingly when I relaunch the game (after the issue is affecting me in battle) the launcher has to reinstall a package.

Start the game from the .exe instead of the bitraider that is per default shortcutted. It is a lot faster.

You can also start the game twice, and overlog yourself in the second window if you have a connection issue in the window you are playing, just play in windowed mod and click the potbs.exe twice.
  • edited February 1
    Tickler said:

I have a similar issue.
    About a third of the time I enter a naval battle mission the ship does not respond to my commands. I'll move forward with full sails (which the animation starts to do) then it resets to my starting location with sails down...

I have had similar issues... and I think I have a good guess at what your issue is: it's your internet router, WiFi or internet connection dropping UDP packets every so often that indicate to the server that your game client is still connected. (UDP packets are not retransmitted by default if they are lost in transit) The server keeps track of where your ship really is, but does not transmit this to your game client as it assumes that it isn't responding, although it doesn't mark you as being disconnected???

The reason I say this is that when I changed my router to a different model the issues totally went away, and spamming the tab button to get information on NPCs gave me some very choppy updates on where my ship/character actually were.

However, if (like me) this was not a viable solution for you due to incompatibility or cost, I have a more pragmatic solution. Does this only happen when entering a sea mission from the docks, after spending more than 30 seconds or so AFK? Or does this happen at all when entering missions from the open sea, where your ship was previously responsive?

If so (only happens from land or where ship was previously unresponsive), keep your character moving around on land as much as possible. You can click into the chatbox while strafing in circles to make this happen while AFK. This should make your computer send a whole lot more information to the server and stop the issue with the packet drop. If happens while idling at sea or otherwise moving around and being active, it sounds like a different problem with the same symptoms to me.

Combine this with launching the game directly via PotBS.exe as mentioned earlier and keeping a second window open, and this should make life easier for you.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.
    I'll try tonight.

It happens randomly. I might be up to my 3rd sea mission (Launched from a town's docks) and the issue appears (not AFK for any of it). Only happens in missions and never during avatar combat. I haven't had a chance to PvP yet :(

Like I said though it's interesting to see that after it happens and I start the launcher it re-installs a package. After that it's fine again....for a while.

Cheers
    Francis Tickler
    "Answer 2" about screen resolution in the Crash section of my previous posted link is what solved it for me back in the day(actually back in the time under FLS/SOE if I recall correct).

Both in OS and OS battle I experienced suddenly being half across the map then crash.

Combined with the texture setting - crashes became very rare for me.
  • Okay. From further testing it appears to happen if I go AFK.
    I can't find a Potbs.exe (only the launcher works from Potbs folder).
    I have tried some graphic settings but the lag remains.
    I know the obvious answer is not to go afk but that's a little unrealistic.
    Is there a way to change the afk timer?
    I'll keep the thread updated with other finding (ie if it happens when I'm not afk).

Cheers
    Francis Tickler
  • RULES -
    http://portalusgames.com/policy/game-rules/#AFK

AFK Status

You may not participate in game play while away from the keyboard. This includes all activities where there is a reasonable expectation that a player is at the keyboard when participating in them, (any activity requiring response from the player). We may at our discretion forcibly disconnect characters that are left logged in excessively in an AFK status. Depending on severity and/or repeated offenses accounts can be subject to suspension, forfeiture or ban for engaging in game play while in AFK status.

Just an FYI (im sure you have read the rules anyway :P )
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • RULES -
    http://portalusgames.com/policy/game-rules/#AFK

AFK Status

You may not participate in game play while away from the keyboard. This includes all activities where there is a reasonable expectation that a player is at the keyboard when participating in them, (any activity requiring response from the player). We may at our discretion forcibly disconnect characters that are left logged in excessively in an AFK status. Depending on severity and/or repeated offenses accounts can be subject to suspension, forfeiture or ban for engaging in game play while in AFK status.

Just an FYI (im sure you have read the rules anyway :P )

I'm not complaining about being AFK (and being disconnected) I'm trying to solve my issue where I am deemed as AFK, come back and try to do a mission where I lag out. When this happens in game I have to restart the game for the issue to be fixed.
  • My issue doesn't seem to come from going AFK at least. I have tried multiple graphics settings as well. This problem also occurs on the Open Sea as well as OS Ship battles. I have not tried mission ship battles.

I don't know about my router dropping UDP packets... I mean I guess it could be but then I would imagine youtube and other streaming services would have issues and it hasnt. Maybe my router is not giving the game QOS so to speak?

Also, I have no issues in Avatar combat, only with ship combat.

I'm not sure what you mean about having a second window open? How do I do that?
  • I'm gonna try and redownload the game and see if that has any effect though I doubt it. I also will continue to play with the graphics settings and see what happens.
  • its probably just ram filling up. when i used to afk for hours, and come back, i had lots of weird spiky things on screen. a few minutes have never really affected me. i'd just recommend you try not to afk too long, if you think you may be awhile, just quit out. it doesnt take long to restart. second window open is just rerunning the game, and it will reload a second instance of potbs. but not logged in. insted of restarting the game. switch to second instance and log in, your other toon will auto log out, so you miss maybe 30 seconds
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • A friend told me it's happening to him when he ALT TABS from the game. I suggested he use the 'Window' setting (Not full screen).
  • I get mine even when I NEVER go AFK or ALT Tab out. However, I did redownload last night and was able to finish one ship battle. We'll keep posted whether this success continues.
  • Thanks Jagged. Please tell me if the re installation solved it.

I played last night and got the same issue and was never AFK.
    I'll keep testing and try to find a solution.
    If I find one I'll update this thread.
  • Still having issues. Hey Tickler are you on a WIFI connection or are you wired in?
  • Wired in.
    I also reinstalled the game but got the same issue :(
    To narrow it down further it appears to be any ship mission launched from a town.
    You can have 3 great missions then it happens. It is happens when NOT flagged as afk.
    Both when starting from docks and open sea?
  • Problem definition
    Massive lag and rubber-banding when launching ship missions or going out into the open sea from the docks. Only way to fix it is to quit game and relaunch.

Frequency
    Random but probably about once every 30 minutes

Attempted solutions
    Changed window resolution (full screen to window). Changed various graphic settings.

Other information
    This happens whilst in game (not just tagged as afk or ALT TABBING in other screens)
    I know of 6 other players with this exact same issue. Their hopes is that the new company fix this problem.
    I will launch missions from the open sea and see if it happens there.
  • Yes it also happens when launching missions from the sea :(
  • also try this. in the game, go to social tab, select society, and turn off the offline soc players list. Something about it always having to recheck the server for online soc memebers... may or may not help
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • Tickler are you playing on a desktop or laptop? Just curious. I am on a laptop. I'm still unable to find a solution which is really unfortunate because it makes the game unplayable... Not sure what to do at this point. I have a spare desktop that may be able to run it.
  • @JaggedCrown My $300 laptop runs the game flawlessly, but my 2k gaming rig shows more issues and bugs
    Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But the captain had decided that he would prefer to achieve immortality by not dying.
  • ..aye ..same ..my 10 yr old all-in-one PC, 4GB ram, 128MB video mem, set basically @ minimum settings, running TWO game windows, runs the game with almost no issues

..my new gaming laptop, 32GB ram, Intel 8th Gen, 6GB video mem, SSD & HDD, GEFORCE grapic card, whether set to max, medium or minimum settings, running ONE game window, is either locking up after 15 or so minutes, or running out of memory every 30 min ..like wtf
    ..Jack of all trades, master of none ..but workin on it
  • That's interesting. Maybe I'll try get it running on my spare desktop this weekend and let people know how it goes.

Btw does anybody run this game on Linux by chance? Or is that just even more of an issue.
  • edited February 15
    John Stuart Mill (Antigua Brit) does. I think his handle here is Asta2001
    I prefer being beaten on the open sea via old school ganking by players sailing, then being beaten by manipulation of mechanics and folks jumping from alt to alt and nation to nation.
  • I have same lag like the others. I started using the ( add metric ) meter .Net/Lag stays between 120ms and 160ms.. The Net / Received is anywhere from 2000.0 and when bad lag happens its down to 9.0 ..
    My net speed at home was 30 Mbps.. this was over 6 lag times , both when leaving port and in battle instance at sea with npc..
    hope this can help... I would like to pvp but not like this
  • also try this. in the game, go to social tab, select society, and turn off the offline soc players list. Something about it always having to recheck the server for online soc memebers... may or may not help

I tried that but still had the issue.
    I'm using a desktop and have average speed of 95mbps (Australian NBN).

Pvp should be fine as this issue is around missions launched from port (On the docks and from the sea).
    Also it happens sometimes when I leave port for the OS (Not doing any missions) This really sucks when there is a red zone outside the exiting port.

I guess it may happen again in Port Battles but I should have enough time to reconnect.
  • Jack York said:

..aye ..same ..my 10 yr old all-in-one PC, 4GB ram, 128MB video mem, set basically @ minimum settings, running TWO game windows, runs the game with almost no issues

..my new gaming laptop, 32GB ram, Intel 8th Gen, 6GB video mem, SSD & HDD, GEFORCE grapic card, whether set to max, medium or minimum settings, running ONE game window, is either locking up after 15 or so minutes, or running out of memory every 30 min ..like wtf

**..still hard for me to understand y my old gyrl is better than my new one!!
    ..Jack of all trades, master of none ..but workin on it
  • That may indicate it's not a packet loss issue (via modem/router) but due to having a decent graphics card
    Jack York said:

Jack York said:

..aye ..same ..my 10 yr old all-in-one PC, 4GB ram, 128MB video mem, set basically @ minimum settings, running TWO game windows, runs the game with almost no issues

**..still hard for me to understand y my old gyrl is better than my new one!!
    That may indicate it's not a packet loss issue (via modem/router) but it being due to having a decent graphics card.
    WTF alright!