Join to get full access.
Not being logged in means you will not get access to The Player Discussion Boards.
-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

UI keeps resetting to defaults when...

If I crash, or X out of the game, the UI resets. I am tired of having to keep fixing it. Note that I do not ever intentionally X out of it. I had to today when it hard froze. I tried googling for answers, but I cannot find anything related to UI resets. I tried searching the install directory for where the settings are kept, but if it's there, I'm not able to see it.

Any help?

Comments

• Hmm. I almost always log out. Occasionally I quit out using the menu. I had to click the X today due to the game freezing. Maybe it won't happen again.
  • I logged out normally last night. I didn't X out. I clicked logoff, then clicked quit from the log in screen, and today... UI RESET. I'm sick of this. The only thing I can think of here is that I have one instance of the game installed, but I run multiple copies, usually 2 at a time. I am going to do a second install. If that doesn't fix this, then it could be a deal breaker for me. I paid cash to you guys to help keep the game going, but I can't take this annoyance at least once a day.
  • KasparKKasparK (Forum Administrator)
    Whick drive do you have game installed on?

Which drive is your windows user profile stored at?

Do you run the game via bitraider launcher or directly?

The settings file is stored in documents > pirates of the burning sea.
    Make a copy of it before logging out.
    Compare the files after a rerun - is the copied file actually different?

To have a second copy of the game - no need to run installation again - just copy the game folder and run 1 session from the first folder and the second from the second.
    Support your game. Head over to the BSN-store:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Store
    Which settings changes is it you make, that gets reverted?

Is it all or only some?
  • I have one solid state hard drive (c:). All copies of the game are there.

Windows is, of course, on this c: drive.

I run via the bitraider. I did not know I could run it directly. Don't even know how to do that. It's the brwc.exe file.

I add all the extra hot key bars, I enable quite a few things or change settings such as chat window opacity, and font size.

I copied the game files to 3 different directories with a 2 and 3 on the path name to make them unique. I have paid you $100, so I think I am not what is considered abusive. I did not know about the settings. I will make a copy of the settings. for each copy of the game and save it. Sometimes the game says out of memory even though I have 32 gigs and am only using about 25% of my total memory.

Hopefully making copies of the settings in documents folder under the potbs directory will at least make recovery easier when things crash.
  • Is the file to backup called prefs.xml?

C:\Users\My Name\Documents\Pirates of the Burning Sea\prefs.xml
  • Oh boy. I see an issue. There is only one version of the prefs.xml. I run three different copies, but apparently, they all reference C:\Users\My Name\Documents\Pirates of the Burning Sea\prefs.xml. Not sure how this is ever supposed to work.
  • It's like the game saves the settings for each character of each account, and they ALL reset if there is an issue. Seriously. I'm not being a jerk here. I'm just saying that I'm tired of having to reset these things at least 2 times a day. It's enough to make me never log into this game again. That'd be a shame, because I enjoy it, but the pain of having to reposition window of every character I play daily is wearing me down.
  • I've now deleted the two copies of the game, and uninstalled the original. Reinstalling. It won't save UI settings at all now even with normal log out, and then quitting from the log in/server selection screen. Good thing I love this game. I don't go to this much trouble often for something that I can easily replace with some other mmorpg.
  • While it is now allowed to run multiple characters, of course within the boundaries of the rules laid out for multiple accounts, the game is not designed for it, nor was it originally intended by the developers. This can be plainly seen as with the original subscription model, you could not even switch nations until cease fire, which you can now just circumvent with an additional account. If you could not switch nation, but can circumvent this by a second account, it should be very clear that this usage of multiple instances of the game at once was never intended to be a use case.
  • I'm not here to debate that. I read the guidelines, and I am 100% compliant.

I spent $100 on this game and have invested the notes into account upgrades. I am pure British accounts. I know it's uncommon, but I do have integrity. I could have kept all the characters on one account, but I thought it'd make sense to have them separate so I can do trades back and forth from my trader to my characters when they need stuff from crafting.

The thing is, suddenly, I can't even get ONE account to log in consistently with the UI settings I had when I logged out and quit from the server selection screen. A complete reinstall didn't even fix it.
    edited January 1
    Are you on a administrator account / installed with admin rights / run game with admin rights ?
  • ok, we get it, you spent $100 bucks on the game etc..

Thats not really relevant to your issues.

I had this issue, and it was solved by changing my settings, then logging out, then quitting the game.
    But i only have one copy installed, and i can multibox just fine.
    Why would you have more than one copy?

I think you are creating a lot of these issues yourself. I would remove all but the original file, and do a clean install. Then load the game, change your UI, Log out, then quit. Then restart game.

To multibox, just rerun the exe file.

To run without bitraider, merely go to the installation path, and run the file potbs.exe.
    bitraider doesnt need to be run, only if theres an update. and will reset certain files (pirates.ini) so other settings will revert. (make a copy of the pirates.ini file if you made changes, and save as pirates_local.ini to keep the settings)
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • edited January 2
    No need to be snarky. I made the point that I spent the money to show that I don't want to just abandon the other 2 accounts since I've invested in them.

I deleted everything last night. Every copy I made as well as uninstalling the original installed copy. I made sure the complete game folder was deleted after the uninstall since crap got left behind. I then made sure the folder in the documents folder was deleted. I did a completely new install.

I just now edited the shortcut and told it to run as admin. I confirmed my user id I am signed in with is in group administrators.

I did find the potbs.exe late yesterday. I will start using it going forward.

I will do the pirates_local thing too.

Even having done the new install, and having gotten rid of the copies, I just lost my UI settings again when I logged out, and then quit from the server menu, and then logged back in. I really don't understand what is broken at this point.

I have now tried logging in as admin rights, editing my UI, then quitting. I saved the pirates.ini to pirates_local.ini after I logged and and quit the client. I then logged back in, and the UI settings are gone. My assumption is that I'm doing things in the wrong order somehow, but I can't figure out how. The pirates.ini file doesn't update from 11/30/2018 though, even after I log out and back in. It does sort of look like admin isn't happening or something, but like I said, my user ID I log in with has admin rights.
  • KasparK said:

Are you on a administrator account / installed with admin rights / run game with admin rights ?

As far as I know, yes.
  • edited January 2
    Interestingly, I logged into 1 of my other accounts. The UI settings were fine. Logged out and into my 3rd account. UI settings were fine. Logged out and into my first account that is always hosed. UI settings were fine. Logged out and quit. Logged back into the first account. UI settings were reset. I am not sure what this means. Something causes them to reset even though I made a copy of the pirates.ini to pirates_local.ini.

Tomorrow, I will try logging in account 1, fixing the settings/UI, then execute the potbs.exe and log in account 2 and see if it's good, then 3. At least that way, I know I only have to do it once per crash or when I start fresh each day.
    edited January 2
    Graso said:

I logged out normally last night. I didn't X out. I clicked logoff, then clicked quit from the log in screen, and today... UI RESET.

Graso said:

Interestingly, I logged into 1 of my other accounts. The UI settings were fine. Logged out and into my 3rd account. UI settings were fine. Logged out and into my first account that is always hosed. UI settings were fine. Logged out and quit. Logged back into the first account. UI settings were reset.

As long as application potbs.exe is running - settings are kept.
    Once quit/closed - settings reset.
    KasparK said:

The settings file is stored in documents > pirates of the burning sea.
    Make a copy of it before logging out.
    Compare the files after a rerun - is the copied file actually different?

What I was heading at here was: is the settings actually ever saved?

Do you have any local or cloud based backup solution - which is accessing files and thus blocking changes from being saved.

Is your antivirus/firewall solution maube blocking something
  • edited January 3
    No I do not have any local or cloud based backup solution.. I have been using the same anti-virus I've been using for years. I did just switch computers to a new rig. The problem only seems to start when I did that. Everything points to it being an issue with permissions, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. I'll have to do some Googling. I love the game, and can't really stop playing because of this silly issue. I just wish I could resolve it. I may need to call the manufacturer of the PC and see if they can give me any ideas.

The prefs.xml file in the documents\pirates of the burning sea\ directory does get updated when I log out.

So what you're saying, if I read correctly, is to set things how I want them, and while the game is still running, save the prefs.xml file off to my desktop. Then when I log out and quit the file will get reset in the folder. I then copy my desktop version over the one in the folder? I thought the file reset upon logging in again.

The file I saved to desktop was different than the one in the directory after I logged out and quit. the backed up version is smaller by almost 400 bytes. I copied the desktop version back into the folder and restarted the game. The UI was reset to defaults. I'll read this all again in the morning. It's late and maybe i'm being extra ditzy.
    edited January 3
    See end of post first
    Graso said:

I thought the file reset upon logging in again.

It is not supposed to.
    Graso said:

The prefs.xml file in the documents\pirates of the burning sea\ directory does get updated when I log out.

But is anything changed in the file?
    When you write 'updated' I assume you mean you see the date/time of the file is updated.

There is a difference between some permission prevented changes from being stored in the file - in which case the date/time should not change/update - and changes actually being saved but then reverted or file overwriting to a default or some kind.

So please check some of the paragraphs in the file.

Examples to check:

Just having logged in, the used server and account name is stored in the file (so that next time is should auto select the previous used server and have prefilled the account name
    <flsClientPreferences>
    		<name>PrefClient</name>
    		<playerId>1</playerId>
    		<throttleChangeSpeed>0.780000</throttleChangeSpeed>
    		<chatSettingsVersion>1</chatSettingsVersion>
    		<chatColorsVersion>1</chatColorsVersion>
    After a login
    <flsClientPreferences>
    		<name>PrefClient</name>
    		<server>*Server*</server>
    		<accountName>*Name*</accountName>
    		<characterID>*LongNumber*</characterID>
    		<throttleChangeSpeed>0.780000</throttleChangeSpeed>
    		<chatSettingsVersion>1</chatSettingsVersion>
    		<chatColorsVersion>1</chatColorsVersion>
    *Server*, *Name*, *LongNumber* would be replaced by the info.

Some graphics changes:

Default:
    -<flsGraphicsPreferences>
    <name>PrefGraphicsConfig</name>
    <askAboutFullScreen>0</askAboutFullScreen>
    <refreshRate>60.000000</refreshRate>
    <globalMasterLodScale>5.000000</globalMasterLodScale>
    <showShadows>false</showShadows>
    <shadowOversample>1</shadowOversample>
    <reflectionsOnMyShips>false</reflectionsOnMyShips>
    <wakeOnMyShip>true</wakeOnMyShip>
    <wakeOnOtherShips>true</wakeOnOtherShips>
    <captainOnMyShip>true</captainOnMyShip>
    <maxGruntsOnMyShip>10</maxGruntsOnMyShip>
    <crewDrawDistanceOnMyShip>100</crewDrawDistanceOnMyShip>
    <crewDrawDistanceOnOtherShips>100</crewDrawDistanceOnOtherShips>
    <lowResForMyShip>true</lowResForMyShip>
    <lowResForOtherShips>true</lowResForOtherShips>
    <showReflections>false</showReflections>
    <fancyShaders>false</fancyShaders>
    <fancyAvatarLighting>false</fancyAvatarLighting>
    <maxVisibleAvatars>30</maxVisibleAvatars>

Depending on selections it could look like this:
    -<flsGraphicsPreferences>
    <name>PrefGraphicsConfig</name>
    <askAboutFullScreen>0</askAboutFullScreen>
    <refreshRate>60.000000</refreshRate>
    <windowTop>-8</windowTop>
    <windowLeft>-8</windowLeft>
    <windowWidth>1920</windowWidth>
    <windowHeight>1017</windowHeight>
    <wakeOnMyShip>true</wakeOnMyShip>
    <wakeOnOtherShips>true</wakeOnOtherShips>
    <captainOnMyShip>true</captainOnMyShip>
    <maxGruntsOnMyShip>40</maxGruntsOnMyShip>
    <maxGruntsOnOtherShips>20</maxGruntsOnOtherShips>
    <crewDrawDistanceOnMyShip>300</crewDrawDistanceOnMyShip>
    <crewDrawDistanceOnOtherShips>200</crewDrawDistanceOnOtherShips>
    <lowResForOtherShips>true</lowResForOtherShips>
    <maxVisibleAvatars>120</maxVisibleAvatars>
    <windowWidth>1920</windowWidth>
    <windowHeight>1017</windowHeight>
    is the resolution and is not in the default part - so just changing your resolution - you wil be able to check whether something is ever saved/changed in the file.

For testing purposes - make a new windows profile (with administrator- rights) run potbs.exe directly.

If it works on the new profile - issue is at the old one.
    (if it worked it worked with the prefs.xml in the document folder of the new account - not the prefs.xml in the document folder of your old/original profile)

If it does not change anything - delete prefs.xml (on the old/original profile)

Permission checking

right click on prefs.xml > properties
    Lower left - Read-Only ?

Change to the Security tab > Select Admin
    What permission does it shown in the lower window

Repeat the above steps for the Pirates of the Burning Sea-folder

And I just noticed you updated your post while I have been fiddling around.
    Graso said:

The file I saved to desktop was different than the one in the directory after I logged out and quit. the backed up version is smaller by almost 400 bytes. I copied the desktop version back into the folder and restarted the game. The UI was reset to defaults. I'll read this all again in the morning. It's late and maybe i'm being extra ditzy.

So changes is actually saved but file is then reverted? - does not sound like a permission problem.

So it could be that "Reset UI" (under Preferences) is somehow being executed on application exit.

Never heard of that

I'll wait for you to test on a new windows profile (as mentioned in the above post.
    edited January 3
    Eh, before anything else - check your prefs.xml

It should start with
    <flsClientPreferenceSetList>
    Note the < and >

It should end with
    </flsClientPreferenceSetList>

Note the </ and >

flsClientPreferenceSetList should only be mentioned 2 times - at the top and at the buttom - if you find it more than 2 times - remove what does not look like the above examples.

• edited January 4
    I haven't done everything you suggested yet (just got home), but yes, it appears the file gets updated, and then reverted. I do not have reset ui clicked, but it looks like it's doing it. I'll double check. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

Edit: Hmm. The reset ui and reset all option is in the window you get when you select preferences. I do not press those buttons ever. I do not know why it keeps resetting when I quit.

And I just noticed you updated your post while I have been fiddling around.
    Graso said:

So changes is actually saved but file is then reverted? - does not sound like a permission problem.

KasparK said:

Eh, before anything else - check your prefs.xml

It should start with
    <flsClientPreferenceSetList>
    Note the < and >

It should end with
    </flsClientPreferenceSetList>

Note the </ and >

flsClientPreferenceSetList should only be mentioned 2 times - at the top and at the buttom - if you find it more than 2 times - remove what does not look like the above examples.

Yes, my prefs.xml has the tag at the start and end as you indicated, and no where else.
  • Interesting. I just set my ui and prefs. I checked. they were updated in the prefs.xml. I then logged out and quit. Still there. Started the client, and logged in, without going into the server yet, and it reset them. Logged into server, and into character and back to defaults. Something is happening when I log in to reset them, it appears. This also makes me think that I cannot use more than one account since the tag list is only in the file once, so every character will overlay it. I would think the prefs.xml would have an entry for each character. Otherwise, how would it know which prefs to use for each character as you log in.
  • Without a doubt, I have confirmed that if I logout with account 1, it kept the prefs, but as soon as I opened the client for another account, even though i did not log in yet, it reset the prefs.xml. I opened the file to confirm. I then copied the version from the desktop with my settings. When I opened the client again, and logged in, it updated the prefs.xml to the default settings.
  • Honestly, the biggest annoyance is that it resets all the windows once I log the character into the game back to default. I have tried to find where the individual character settings for for things like resizing the chat window, setting opacity, and setting font size. I also like to open the two vertical hotkey bars and the additional two horizontal ones. It resets that too.
    You cannot have different setups for different accounts/characters.
  • I'd be ok using the same set up for all. Somehow it remembers what skills I have on the hotkey bars, but it can't remember where I put the windows, hotkey bars, etc. I'd gladly settle for one set up, but it won't save it. It's saved right now after I quit, but when I log in next time, it'll reset.
  • I found out something interesting. The pirates.ini file in the install directory has the section below. I changed the "prefsSaveFile" to prefs_local.xml, and added a copy of the prefs.xml to the documents folder after renaming it to prefs_local.xml. When I opened the game, it used the local version. It still reset the UI, though. Maybe I can write a DOS command file up to execute the potbs.exe, copy the prefs.xml with my settings into the documents folder from my desktop and that will allow it to work. I don't know. It's a lot of effort for something that no one else in the game seems to be having trouble with. Just me.

[PrefsManager]
    prefsSaveFile=prefs_local.xml
    prefsSaveDefaultFile=data\client\prefsDefault.xml
    prefsSaveDefaultLowFile=data\client\prefsDefaultLow.xml
    prefsDefnFile=data\client\prefsUIDefn.xml
    prefsPBSESaveFile=prefsPBSE.xml
    prefsPBSESaveDefaultFile=data\Editor\prefsPBSEDefault.xml
  • the _local part wont be changed by the game (at least in the pirates_local.ini file), its used to change things you want to keep changed, even if the game decides otherwise. It looks for the _local file to set attributes, so following that idea, it should be ok to not have to make a command file which runs anything. Just my thruppence....
    The Reapers
    Antigua.