FAQ - Q&A for the Recent Topic posted (Link Below)

Topic Link

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Comments

• May 9 newsletter marketed the Test server at version 2.17. The pinned instructions to download the test server from http://www.burningsea.com/download-test returns a 404/file not found.

Having installed the 'default' downloaded game, all I see are Antigua and Roberts production servers.

How do I access/install:

The Test server which has the current contest/daily-freebie

The Legacy server

Thank you

CMOT_Dibbler

former British Mercantile & Mercenary member (promoters of free market economy)

• Jack O'ConnerJack O'Conner (Helmsmen)

Hello @CMOT_Dibbler it is currently on an updated version of the game (2.17) And only Helmsmen can access the download, however the Test Server should be publicly released soon for you to download and test.

• Keith BainKeith Bain (Helmsmen)

Hello Dibbler! Long time, Sir. Welcome back anytime.

I prefer being beaten on the open sea via old school ganking by players sailing, then being beaten by manipulation of mechanics and folks jumping from alt to alt and nation to nation.
  • I realize that much has changed in 10 or so years. I left after the changes to ports coinciding with the introduction of port governors made much of the Wiki obsolete (without much warning). I had just finished taking over 2000 screenshots to update and provide walk-throughs at the time.

Is the master of the PotBS/econ spreadsheet still playing. I always hold his masterpiece up as a fine example of Excel macro implementation.

What is a Helmsman?

I also assume that there is no chance to resurrect all my account info from many years ago (since I believe they changed architecture).

@KasparK would be the guy to speak to about the spreadsheet business.

A helmsman is a volunteer that have offered to help suggest directions for the developers to go in, pointing out bugs and all the sorts, there is a description detailing it more in detail, however I cannot find it at this current time.

If you transitioned between SOE to Portalus, you should have your account, if not there isn’t a way to retrieve your data as far as I’m aware. But you can always write a support ticket.

For the helmsmen.

Quoted from Fodderboy.

The original group was formed by volunteer from the Community Volunteer staff and subsequent members were added after being nominated by existing members of the staff. Each nomination was followed by discussion and a vote as to whether the new member should be added. I would like to continue using this method of adding new members to the Advisory staff. If members of the staff feel there are additional community members that would be helpful as part of the Advisory body they should nominate those players either in this thread or by starting a new post on the Community Staff general. As in the past we will discuss the nomination and decide whether to expand the staff or not.

@CMOT_Dibbler The man you speak of is Remus (forum handle), and Tristram Yorick in-game. To-date I have been unable to get in contact with him. He made a brief pass at Naval Action, but like most of us... left.

I prefer being beaten on the open sea via old school ganking by players sailing, then being beaten by manipulation of mechanics and folks jumping from alt to alt and nation to nation.
  • edited May 13

@Keith Bain Thank you for your response and the information. Yes, it was Remus/Tristram Yorick that I remembered from many years ago. He sure put a lot of work into a very useful tool in it's day.

Thank you also, @Jack O'Conner for the post on the Helmsmen status. I was part of the Boarding Party and Aegir's Live Event group until mid-2010 and 1/2011 when I went completely inactive.

Although I am certainly not 'active' in the game 'yet' again, I was very active providing lots of feedback on errors in my day. My main prupose in starting this thread was my confusion over a newsletter that stated prizes would be awarded daily for participating in something the recipient of the newsletter is apparently unable to access or install. Just seems odd (like I missed something in the trail of information).

Is BM&M still active as a Society? I did not see them mentioned in the list of active societies in the forums. If not, was there a merger?

Heh, I looked in my archived data from old computers, I still have the 2000 images saved ...

Thanks again for your help!

BMM still exists. Though it has changed the '&' to 'or' due to a petty squabble and someone hijacking the original name...

Suffice it to say, the original society and one of the original founders (myself) is still active. You are more than welcome to jump and check us out. Still the same old free market society and generous to newcomers, to boot.