-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You will need to create a new account to fully access the forum.

Fore-gun Conclusion

Hey guys, so I've been trying to complete this mission off and on ever since I hit level 50. I use the merchants repairs, followers, the whole 9 yards, but I never am able to escape and complete the mission. I've looked on the wiki, but there is no literature concerning the mission or missions beforehand, so I am stuck. I am tired of wasting valuable items to fail time and time again. Does anyone have a solution?

~Tremain

Comments

• Where is the mission?
  • word out there is there are over 1200 missions in game, and most are in no guide or list whatsoever, so it would be wise to include a short summary with basic info to locate it. Mission chain, port of origin, npc which provides it, avcom or shipcom, number and level of enemies, maybe some background resume?
    From the top of my head and taking a big chance and with full reservations I think I recall it as one of the missions where you get to commandeer a marauder. I never had a problem in those so probably you are doing something wrong. Elaborate a bit so we can help you mate.
  • Sorry about that. Yes, you command a ship similar to a marauder. I can't seem to sink ships fast enough to collect salvage to repair the vessel before it sinks. You collect the mission from Captain Kidd in Tortuga, and is the 3rd mission you get where you work with NPC Men-of-War. There are two parts from what I have figured out, one where you have to save an NPC called "Balerdi" or something of the sort, and the second, you have to escape in a "Whalebone" ship which is similar, if not the same as, the marauder.
  • Been a while but I think thisis the one where you have to sink 3 or 4 enemy and your ship is sinking. If its the right mission there are a couple of keys to this mission;
    1. Dont stray to far away from where you start
    2. Concentrate on one ship at a time if you can, using the fwd gun and side cannons, only if not being used fire the remaining cannon at another ship.
    3. After each ship is defeated they drop repairs, you have to pick these up straight away, ensuring you bring your cannons to bear at the same time on the next enemy ..... hence why you dont move too far away from where you start, keep the enemy close to you and less sailing for these repairs.
    4. After a few tries you will get better and complete.
  • The Marauder and the whalebone ship are the same. Make sure you have done all the missions from your trainer and have all the skill points used. Make sure you have the all the repair skills available. Get a couple of hull patches first class or admirals first class, and make sure you have one expert carpenter. Spend a few minutes studding the stats of the Marauder from F1. It is a colossal ship, and pretty slow, so once you engage the enemy ships you have to sink them, you will not be able to just sail away. On the plus side it is a ship which turns quite all right for its size, and packs quite a punch. It also has huge DR, which will protect you if you start using hull repairs early, since DR is coupled with armor conditions.
    You just have to sink 4 ships, level 44 if I remember right, deliverance and myrmidon heavy, so dont just sail in the middle of them, try to pick one at a time, and turn in the opposite direction he does. Do not shoot any other target except with the top deck, which reloads fast enough. Middle deck and gun deck are the widow makers here, but take 68 and 86 seconds to reload, so if you just side lock or sail straight waiting for reload you will be sunk. Your turning rate is 4,7 degrees per second which means you need about 76 second to complete a 360 turn with no buffs, so if you just shoot at a single target you will be able to unload 3 broadsides on it in less than a minute and a half, plus the huge nose gun and the two 36 pounders at the stern...no level 44 ship is going to stay afloat after that.
    Then move on to next target; the whole thing should not take more than 8 minutes, so time your repairs accordingly. Depending on your career skills you may be able to use them twice if you do so, and you will be able to use 2 consumables and one carpenter.
    With 14 DR , 2200 armor and 3100 hull you really should have no problem doing this as long as you start using your repairs early and focus on one target at a time.
  • well, I just replayed the mission with a toon, so you can forget half of the crap I just told you in previous comment. You have no repairs, and your own repair skills are disabled, so you must pick up the salvaging crates to fix your leaks. You can take them from 100 yards on. As a cutt with buffs on the reload was quite all right, so even side locking the first ship is doable. the ships are coming from your right , so you may want to start sailing close haul to your left so you get fire from only a ship at a time. Try to keep very close to the ship you are targeting, and once you see it only needs another broadside get very close, so you can pick the crate right after firing.. I never got under 1000 structure, so there is plenty of margin. The enemy fire is only a problem if you engage them all, otherwise it is just the leak what will sink you so just keep your damage buffs on.
  • Easy NameEasy Name (Forum Moderator)
    get the most value out of your fore gun. the ship in that mission has a more powerful fore gun than normal and make sure you hit with it because it is the equivalent to hitting with a broadside.
    Be Careful of the feet you step on today, They may be connected to the a$$ you have to kiss tommorrow!
    When you're dead you dont know your dead, its only painful for others. Same thing when you're stupid.
  • edited April 18
    there is a rumor out there stating I dont know what the heck I am talking about half of the time, and the other half I am just plain wrong. After reading Easy name,s comment I revisited the missions once again and I can claim now with full confidence the rumor is dead right! Marauder and "stolen whale bone ship" ("whale boner" from now on to save wording) only share the looks, but the stats have nothing to do. A comparable follows:
    https://imgur.com/a/qrsbI

So one is huge the other colossal, one spins like a ballerina and the other is a floating brick, marauder need 86 seconds to reload the fore gun for 43 damage while whale boner unloads 510 every half a minute. After hit and run and dump guns the boner was sailing downwind at 28 knots plus, which is quite a feat for a ship with no fittings.
    So, after making an ass of myself with the previous comments I hardly have any advise to give; maybe just remind you the ship is empty except 1500 bronze and 500 canister and you are in the water with basic shot as default, so just make sure you change to bronze on splashdown
    Damm it Portalus, give this stats to the marauder and no pirate will want a concorde any more, they will all break their piggy banks to get themselves a whale boner! they will sell like hot cakes! Do yourselves a favor and put this thing in treasure aisle.
  • sisulin said:

there is a rumor out there stating I dont know what the heck I am talking about half of the time, and the other half I am just plain wrong. After reading Easy name,s comment I revisited the missions once again and I can claim now with full confidence the rumor is dead right! Marauder and "stolen whale bone ship" ("whale boner" from now on to save wording) only share the looks, but the stats have nothing to do. A comparable follows:

So one is huge the other colossal, one spins like a ballerina and the other is a floating brick, marauder need 86 seconds to reload the fore gun for 43 damage while whale boner unloads 510 every half a minute. After hit and run and dump guns the boner was sailing downwind at 28 knots plus, which is quite a feat for a ship with no fittings.
    So, after making an ass of myself with the previous comments I hardly have any advise to give; maybe just remind you the ship is empty except 1500 bronze and 500 canister and you are in the water with basic shot as default, so just make sure you change to bronze on splashdown
    Damm it Portalus, give this stats to the marauder and no pirate will want a concorde any more, they will all break their piggy banks to get themselves a whale boner! they will sell like hot cakes! Do yourselves a favor and put this thing in treasure aisle.

(pic embedded)
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • I mean, you can already tell that if you play the Orleans daily missions, I was always perplexed why my Marauder was weaker than the Whalebone. I believe that mission is a solo mission, what port did you get it in? I wish to record it, although I've already done it on my main character...
  • ..i've completed it ..after a year of playing i finally tried it again ..lol ..pretty ez ..sail right at the whalebone ship ..as u approach turn right, he will turn left ..sidelock him & match his speed best u can ..DO NOT SHOOT HIM & DO NOT USE REPAIRS ..eventually he will demast u & board u ..if u fail just try it again ..disregard the other ships ..there are a cpl more segments of the mission to follow ..i found it best to come with merchant ammo & repairs as u will not be able to use your own in the ShipCom segment to follow ..i found a commish helpful as well ..gd luck
  • @NightOwlKOJ , You get the missions from Captain Kidd at his office in Tortuga. First mission in chain "business is good", "pecking order" follows. "Fore-gun conclusion" is the third in the chain.
  • i did it on the first try when i tried it only because i knew the ship was simular to the marauder (that i at the time actively sailed often and knew what it was capeable of) i fliped sides used all of my guns including stern to try to get the most rounds down range possable
    and to an above comment i do support giving the marauder the whaleboner stats for lulz would be instresting to see an entire pb with them in it to
    one and only Rita Wolf
  • Finally completed it on my priv. I guess my Naval Officer just doesn't have the skillset needed to complete the mission. Oh well.