Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Remus. I had found no source of a Danish ship called wenden before, but several Swedish ships who bore that name, so I dismissed the danish archives as being of a foreign ship (I think there was some other in-game ship that was based on a swedish build captured by the danes and found in those archives?).

Then I thouroughly vote for a swedish line ship. And Stora Kronan is not going to fit in the game ever (Friggin oversized 120 gun design), so some of the other ships should be the epitome of ships that will never get completed.

(Also, who the hell would sail Vasa? Why not take at least her successful sister Äpplet, or better any of the time periodmen o' war? Oh that's right, no plas I guess)

Comment

I just want the gm speedyships to become available. whatever happened to the Asian expansion that was talked about a few years ago?

Comment

I like the Sovereign of the Seas, the beautiful decorated heck alone.
        However, this would indeed be very difficult to model.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_of_the_Seas

Comment

@ Soverign of the Seas

There's a beautiful painting of her in Björn Landström's "The Ship" (1961) (Great book for any ship-interested person by the way).

Comment

dutchman

i know it isn't a proper lineship, and i i know it isn't historically accurate, but it would be pretty cool if there was a ship like the flying dutchman, obviously without the plantlife but that looks like it as i think it is a good looking ship and would be popular in game also!

Comment

Originally posted by c.york View Post
              i know it isn't a proper lineship, and i i know it isn't historically accurate, but it would be pretty cool if there was a ship like the flying dutchman, obviously without the plantlife but that looks like it as i think it is a good looking ship and would be popular in game also!
              Just at the 'Whalebone' ship to the game. Make it 6 sail DR. And 6x60lb fore guns
              Otherwise; make a Dutch nation. That would be really cool. That is because I would like to have 2 Dutch Flags, instead of one at only my back ...

Comment

Also, FLS already made Dutch NPC's and a Dutch capital, called 'Oranjestad'.
                Last edited by willl14; 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

i guess you got lost in the forum?
                  or why do you talk about such things in a "ship discussion"-thread?

Comment

I'm curious as to what comes to us in ships, hopefully they are just as beautiful as the prince there are already newer info out of the principal?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorin Eikinskjald View Post
                      Look, guys - I know you want the look of the Line of Battle ships from the Napoleonic War period, with the straight sides, smooth decks et all. NOT from our period - the doctrines that led to them being built, and the ongoing learning of the shipwrights that had to learn how to build ships that could handle the weight, position and other naval architect determinations for them were still being developed. Try some ships from our period. There were very sound reasons for the high sterns, severe tumblehome and other features of our period.
                      Thank you. Now, if more attention had been paid to this when designing some of the frigates ...

Comment

I read this thread the other day and have come back to it to report findings and offer my two bits.

Originally posted by Thorin Eikinskjald View Post
                        Look, guys - I know you want the look of the Line of Battle ships from the Napoleonic War period, with the straight sides, smooth decks et all. NOT from our period - the doctrines that led to them being built, and the ongoing learning of the shipwrights that had to learn how to build ships that could handle the weight, position and other naval architect determinations for them were still being developed. Try some ships from our period. There were very sound reasons for the high sterns, severe tumblehome and other features of our period.
                        This model, built after the 1733 Establishment dimensions for a 60-gun Fourth Rate, is of HMS Rupert, which was LAUNCHED in 1740. I would say this is a foot in the door for those who crave a Revolutionary or Napoleonic expansion.
                        HMS Rupert (60), c.1740

Originally posted by CaptBarbossa93 View Post
                        For anyone in the 3D Steering: Would it really be that bad if the game time frame where extended to say 1640-1760 or 1620-1780?
                        Originally posted by Jack Enfield View Post
                        I love the Napoleonic era ships and prefer them to the early 18th century ones as well, but I am glad FLS is keeping the ships restricted to a certain era and pushing to re-invigorate a more historic feel for the game. Perhaps they can do the same with the Naval Officer uniforms in game as well.
                        I'm almost certain that this will never happen (unless a die-hard fan of the game wins the lottery and donates to FLS), but I'm going to go ahead and say it: I want Pirates of the Burning Sea: Revolutions and Empires, with not only the Caribbean, but the Atlantic as well... so you can visit London, New York, Savannah, and the Azores! But I'd make the game span 1750-1820, with Britain, France, Spain, Holland, and of course the United States of America.

As for uniforms, here is where we meet a huge dilemma. When people think of a Naval officer, especially in the 18th century, the immediate image is the blue frock with gold trim and epaulettes. The use of epaulettes in the Royal Navy did not begin until 1795 and the use of uniforms of any sort did not come into use until 1748... nearly a decade after the cutoff of the game's time window. If we go extreme with the mission to make PotBS a truly historical game, then there would be no uniforms of any sort for Naval officers. However, just as a lot of NOs in the game try their hardest to use attire and ships available to replicate the Nelson-checker paint scheme, if FLS adhered to accuracy and removed uniforms as we know them in the game, players with NOs would still find a way to take civilian attire and uniform themselves.

This is what I define as the inherit flaw with the game's historical accuracy. They include clothing elements (military and civilian) that are unrealistic or out of period, but are adamant that all ships be of the proper time frame. You can't pick and choose what rules of historical accuracy to follow. Either restrict the game to pre-1740 in all ways and lose a major player base that craves that Master and Commander experience or open up the possibility of extending the time frame or making a new expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Remus View Post
                          However, it did lead me to the Wikipedia page:
                          A small number of the timbers used in the construction of Victory were taken from the remains of the previous HMS Victory, which had caught fire and been burnt to the waterline in February 1721 whilst having weed burned from her bottom
                          Ooops!
                          She was so high, she didn't know what was goin' on...
                          Originally posted by Arkune View Post
                          „these will be brand new recipes and the ships that they create will be new as well.“
                          I read that as "nerfed".

Comment

Working...
                          X