X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Zeven ProvinciŽn, Community Project

De Zeven ProvinciŽn was a Dutch warship built in 1665 in Amsterdam. A long while back Steve-o attempted to model this beautiful vessel but ultimately was unable to see her through to completion. Today we have officially received and accepted his shipwright agreement, which allows FLS to legally use the model and any derivative works.

As of this moment the project is hereby opened up to the community. Over the weekend I'll be posting materials and links to information about the ship. For now, I'm just letting you know it's on its way for all of those who have been waiting so patiently.

More to come!

thats awesome cant wait to see some modeling done :-D to bad i cant model myself because i would have gladly helped out.

Comment

Is this it?
      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Provincien.jpg

Could that be used as a new triumphant model?

Comment

Yes that's it, but any possibility of how it will be used is up to Taelorn. None of us can say for sure. Here's more info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zeve...ABn_(1665-1694)

Comment

Originally posted by KrisWood View Post
          Yes that's it, but any possibility of how it will be used is up to Taelorn. None of us can say for sure. Here's more info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zeven_Provinci%C3%ABn_(1665-1694)
          Yeah that's where I found the picture that I linked to above

That link doesn't work btw

Comment

Originally posted by SkttLes View Post
            Yeah that's where I found the picture that I linked to above

That link doesn't work btw
            Yeah it does, just there isn't a bracket at the end of the URL.
            this is it
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zeve...n_%281665-1694)

But is it me or does everyone look at the wiki too much...like my Primary school teacher used to say, "You look at one source in life and your gonna live under a bridge."
            Last edited by cheeseypie5555; 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Nah, it's just the handiest quick source of info. I could have gotten the info from the batavia shipyard's web site but I'd have had to translate it from dutch and it wouldn't have been pretty.

Comment

What stage was the project at before the original modeller threw in the towel? are there any nice screenies of the current works? I need something new to drool over since the new herc model now occupies a vast number of slots in my drydock

Comment

Seeing this makes my heart skip a beat! I am glad steve-o succeed to send his ok as he was buzzy with his study but told me he would send it right after he finished that.

Steve-o his model was almost finished he was on the texturing and the bling bling untill he had to quit due studies.

Depends on which taelorn setup is going to take the 1666 or the 1692.
                  1666 is the not so powerful armement as they brought guns from everywhere avaible. 80 guns
                  1672-4 are the years it has the full 36 pounders on the lowest tier.
                  1692 it got a gun upgrade (92) as was considered a second rate due three deckers around.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_P View Post
                    What stage was the project at before the original modeller threw in the towel? are there any nice screenies of the current works? I need something new to drool over since the new herc model now occupies a vast number of slots in my drydock
                    ||
                    ||
                    \ /

Originally posted by Jabberdau View Post
                    80 guns, De Zeven Provinciens, by Steve-O
                    Faith: Author disapeared?, Picture01

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen a main mast raked that harshley on a SoL o.O

Comment

Originally posted by S Titus View Post
                        I don't think I have ever seen a main mast raked that harshley on a SoL o.O
                        That was one of the things on the todo list The 7P is a rather powerfull second rate which battled the first rates of France and England and still came on top.

Comment

I got a chance to look at the model today and it's going to need a bit of cleanup before I can post links to files on here.

Here's the current status:

The ship overall looks good. Most parts are well proportioned and historically accurate. A good bit of work still needs to be done however:

1: The geometry of the hull below the wales needs to be redone in a manner that allows the planking to flow correctly, I'll handle this one prior to handing it off to the community, after which I'll simply be the project manager.

2: The headrails need to be compared to historic dutch practice, and adjusted appropriately.

3: The masts need to be replaced with lower geometry versions, and are incomplete (they lack mastheads at the moment).

4: The transom and counter could use some geometry cleanup

5: Gratings need to be replaced with lower poly versions

6: Stays, backstays, channels and chains with their attendent rigging elements need to be added.

7: Anchors, capstan, and other deck clutter need to be added

8: While the community effort to texture the stern is much appreciated, there are now more examples available of what the actual stern looked like now, thanks to the replica being built in the Batavia shipyard. The stern decorations could thus stand to be replaced with more elaborate, and more accurate versions, as could the figurehead and other decorations.

Overall these items shouldn't take too horribly long. The difficult part will be the logistics of coordinating all the people working on it. More info to come in the near future!

Comment

Originally posted by Macleod View Post
                            That was one of the things on the todo list The 7P is a rather powerfull second rate which battled the first rates of France and England and still came on top.
                            Looks like an over-gunned third rate to me, I dont know how they ever managed to fit 90 guns on it.

Comment

Because it was a rather big second rate (first rate in 1666 for Dutch standards) In those times it was easy to change gunports almost as it was modulair. But the british were champions cramping guns on a ship. But look to the dimensions of the ship it's very wide and it tonnage was hug for a two decker if you look to the paintings of that time you see the 7P is much bigger then it 'sister' ships.

In 1692 the 7p was 'upgraded' due the english standards it went from first rate to second rate. 80 guns > 92 guns So with 80 it was a first rate and with 92 it was a second rate.

Ofcourse if you compare it with a 18th century Naval standard it would be a third rate in dimensions but with a lower tier of 36 pounders it would blow big holes against the strongest ships.

Comment

Working...
                              X