If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Well that's looking better. I would try to heighten the windows and the upper sill and see if your better. Since your adapting that stern from a different ship your probably going to have to tweek it a bit. You might want to compare yours to the one that Jabberdau did on Posiden. Since his is based on le Fluron it's a better period match, although it's French not English.
At last time I'm wondering about Kriswoods description about the St.Albans as an 50 gun Ship.
The planes from Kriswood shows more gun hatches on top deck near the stern. (all 58)
Two ships with the same name was built in close time. The first was built 1687 and the second 1706,
The problem is the albans from 1687 have 50 guns and the second have 54 (58). I think my plan is for the second ship. But Kriswood mean this ship have 50 guns. I this case what i have to do ?
I should close the spare hatches?
I hate to say it but there are a few issues with your head...
1. Your figurehead is sitting as if tacked to the cutwater. While this arrangement is seen often in hobby models, on a real ship she'd fall off at the first sign of rough waters. Instead she should be sitting on the cutwater with one leg on either side, as if she's sitting on a fence.
2. The arrangement of your catheads and the point at which the headrails connect to the beakhead / forecastle are kind of iffy. Please show a historical precident that you're working from so we can steer you more accurately.
3. Your head while nice is in the style of french warships of the late 17th century, while your hull is typical for english ships of the early to mid 18th century. While the two are both acceptable for the PotBS setting, they appear incongruous to anyone who knows much about ships of the period.
As for the stairs, they look good but are more typical of first rates of the mid to late 17th century. I'd suggest a simple ladder.
For inspiration on all of the above, check out these ship models on the National Maritime Museum web site:
First I don't think there would be guns on the forecastle deck for bow chassers. Since you have the guns on the upper deck just below them, the would probably have cut a door and fired the guns through that. Although I think it's pretty unlikely a ship this size would bother with bow chassers at all.
While your looking at that lets fix a few other little problems. There would only be the lower two timbers supporting the head and wrapping around on the hull (see head1.jpg) the third one you have would block the holes cut to admit the anchor cables. (see the above pic at NMM).
In this pic you can see some details of the forecastle deck and rail arrangements. While there is a across the front as you have it, there is not one along the sides. Typically rails like this are not for safety as we have them today, but rather for tying off ropes. A high rail would be weak and mostly in the way. Another one of Kris' links has a rail http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/ima.../F5817-002.jpg but see how low it is. If you want the rail for decoration then it's fine but it needs to come down a good bit.
@ 2. I have you understoodt right? You mean this detail on the first headrail is wrong? (circle on pic)
PS. Ok the Rail position i have slightly changed to the original, but the position i took from kriswoods plan please look to the other pic. But i see another mistake, the slatted frame is to low set, another point to fix. =)
Those references are half a century after the PotBS in the case of the Victory, and half a century before in the case of the other ship you've linked though I can't place a name to it. Please take a closer look at the references I gave a few posts back. These are all 4th rates from the same time period and nation as Saint Albans, and all within the PotBS setting.
Don't be disheartened though Sisko; what you have there looks fantastic and is, in terms of geometry, rather well done. You do appear to be using quite a few more polys than you need to in some areas though so it might be worth optimising a few things.
You just need to make things match the era - making the head fit those plans you show in your side view would likely help.
I think that's great work, but I question if you want to spend 1200 tri's on the end of the cat head. The idea with something like this would but to do very simple geometry and then use part of the above image as a custom texture to give it some real definition.