Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ships are the Athena and Minerva?

The only thing I could find via search was this post:

Originally posted by Michael O'Dwyer View Post
    Vaisseau de 24 canons, 5eme rang
    From Paris's plans, a 5th Rate Frigate of 24 guns. Unlike most of the ships in so far this will be, like Cornwallis' frigate a two decked ship. She has 16 guns on the upper deck and a partial lower deck of 8 guns.

I plan to do two version one with the lower gun ports closed. This version will be a Merchant version of 16 guns.

According to Baudriot she should mount 8lbs guns on the lower deck and 6lbs on the upper deck.
    Sorry forgot to add the link.
    She is 34 meters as measured by Paris.

Will be in game as of 1.2 as Athena, 24 and Minerva, 36.
    Are these two different models or the same? Have we seen either before?

The thread from the Archives is my build thread, it only has pictures of the 24 gun version. The 36 has one extra gun port on the upper deck, and 5 on the lower deck. So she has 9 guns per deck for each broadside, bow and stern chassers.

There are no pictures of the 36 gun version. I guess I can post some of them. stand by.

Comment

OK here are some pics of her.

The 36 gun and 24 gun.

Kriswoods figurehead!

Stern Decorations.
      Attached Files

Comment

She's a beauty

Comment

Indeed! Great to see these.

Comment

That's a pretty ship and a gorgeous figurhead.

Comment

I do have one request though, could the minerva be renamed to something else? Minerva == Athena, except Minerva is the Roman name for her and the game so far has used Greek god names only. It's gonna create inconsistency and bug me out! besides, who's to say the Romans were higher leveled with more guns than the Greeks, huh? HUH?

Random fact: There's already a sci-fi anime warship named the Minerva.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Disbelief View Post
                who's to say the Romans were higher leveled with more guns than the Greeks, huh? HUH?
                The greeks did i think when the romans invaded em and kicked their **** and then stole all their gods

Comment

All your Gods are belong to us?

Comment

The choice of the names was a fairly simple process, I wanted a greek name since many of the French ships of the period use Greek gods. I kicked around a few ideas with Kriswood on the figurehead and we decided on Athena. I did the 36 gun version after the 24 was done and since it has the same figurehead I wanted them to be related names but easily indicate that they are different ships. Marion came up with Minerva.

Comment

I'm more comfortable with Nike paired up with Athena, or Victoria with Minerva. Of course, since the game has been using greek only, and as you said the French.. I'd say Nike and Athena is more appropriate.

Comment

I'm more comfortable with Nike paired up with Athena, or Victoria with Minerva. Of course, since the game has been using greek only, and as you said the French.. I'd say Nike and Athena is more appropriate.
                        Yeah but Nike would make me almost expect to see this on the stern of the ship:

Comment

Pallas would also be a good fit

Comment

The figurehead and stern decorations depict Athena/Minerva. That's kinda the point.

Comment

Originally posted by akdavis View Post
                              The figurehead and stern decorations depict Athena/Minerva. That's kinda the point.
                              We have a winner

Comment

Working...
                              X