X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling in Sketchup

So, decided to download Google Sketchup earlier. Supposed to be the easiest option to learn, which is great consider my previous attempting at 3D modelling failed quite badly. Couldn't make a cube level of failing.

After 3 hours of messing around, I have created something that loosely resembles a frigate. Loosely being the operative word. But hey, first time, can only get better...

For the next stage, I'd like to model from plans. Anyone know how to go about importing plans into Sketchup?
    Attached Files

mhm looks easy i will try it out

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDx8tMkmGB4

That might be helpful, the video is not particularly well done but it should get you started.

However if you're serious about making models I would recommend Blender. It's free and fairly powerful and a good place to start developing basic skills.

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Comment

Got some plans in, thanks

Modeling a Leda class frigate. Based on the French Hebe (1781), so borderline for inclusion in PotBS. Assuming Portlus can start implenting new models, and I finish it to required standards...

Doing this more to learn 3D than to get a new model in game.

Got the general shape of the hull, geometry is still very rough.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by M.Payne View Post
          Got some plans in, thanks

Modeling a Leda class frigate. Based on the French Hebe (1781), so borderline for inclusion in PotBS. Assuming Portlus can start implenting new models, and I finish it to required standards...

Doing this more to learn 3D than to get a new model in game.

Got the general shape of the hull, geometry is still very rough.
          First why did you pick a ship out side of the time frame? There are plenty of plans for ships that fit the date (up to 1740), and the many hours it takes to make one would be wasted on the one you have started because it is way to late of a ship, and that would be a shame.

Second here is a tut I did for the free modeling program called Wings3D, http://www.wings3d.com/. Very easy program to learn http://www.burningsea.com/forums/sho...light=leadtail. The biggest problem you'll have is getting a copy of Maya, and converting it to that program.
          Last edited by leadtail; 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leadtail View Post
            First why did you pick a ship out side of the time frame? There are plenty of plans for ships that fit the date (up to 1740), and the many hours it takes to make one would be wasted on the one you have started because it is way to late of a ship, and that would be a shame.

Second here is a tut I did for the free modeling program called Wings3D, http://www.wings3d.com/. Very easy program to learn http://www.burningsea.com/forums/sho...3476&highlight. The biggest problem you'll have is getting a copy of Maya, and converting it to that program.
            Portalus extended time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm Hunter View Post
              Portalus extended time frame.
              Really, got an official statement that they have? And to what time period? Or can I add this in game? Last I heard they did not have the ability to add new ship in game, and won't for a good long while. But I'd still like to see M.Payne make one, just one that fits into the game time.

Comment

My priorities here are learning 3D, making a ship I'd like, and getting that ship into PotBS, in that order. If the model can't be included in PotBS for whatever reason, I'll just use it as a mod for another game.

Timeframe is now up to 1780. Hebe is over by one year, but the folk at Portulus seem reasonable, so if I was to present them with a completed model I'm sure something could be arranged.

Storm Hunter, do you have that user content ship pack?

Cleaned up the geometry to the point I dare show it, added a keel outline.
                Attached Files

Comment

Reasons I want to build the Leda class...

To me, the classic Napoleonic-era frigate. 6 of the original French class, 47 built by the British to the same design after capturing the Hebe. 2 Survivors, one of which I've been aboard (Trincomalee). Design from 1781, so chance of getting into PotBS. Numerous battles involving the class, HMS Shannon capturing the USS Chesapeake for example.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Payne View Post
                    My priorities here are learning 3D, making a ship I'd like, and getting that ship into PotBS, in that order. If the model can't be included in PotBS for whatever reason, I'll just use it as a mod for another game.

Timeframe is now up to 1780. Hebe is over by one year, but the folk at Portulus seem reasonable, so if I was to present them with a completed model I'm sure something could be arranged.

Storm Hunter, do you have that user content ship pack?

Cleaned up the geometry to the point I dare show it, added a keel outline.
                    Yes, send me your email in private message and I will send package to you when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by leadtail View Post
                      Really, got an official statement that they have? And to what time period? Or can I add this in game? Last I heard they did not have the ability to add new ship in game, and won't for a good long while. But I'd still like to see M.Payne make one, just one that fits into the game time.
                      Here

Foderboy:
                      We love new ships and would like to add as many as possible but adding them at the moment isn’t possible and we are limited to working with the models that we’ve completed work on. The ship being suggested has historically been outside the accepted time frame (cutoff has usually been roughly around 1740) for inclusion in the game. Portalus is a bit more open to extending the time frame possibly up to around 1785 but we’d really have to think about moving too far toward Napoleonic vessels as they contain significant technological advancements to all other ships in the game.

I would not have a problem adding this ship if we can get a model that represents it in game and resolve a couple of issues that we are going to have with the importation process without FLS’s resources.

Comment

This is what I am working on..
                        a lvl 35-45 Frigate
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Storm Hunter View Post
                          This is what I am working on..
                          a lvl 35-45 Frigate
                          Like your choice, we desperately need more frigate models ingame

Although counting gunports, 19 a side, more than any current model, so I doubt she would be less than lvl 50...

Not much progress, only closed up the bow on the Shannon and the geometry needs work. Added puny Sketchup man for scale...

To do list, build a real keel and close up stern.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by M.Payne; 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pack

Almost time to start texturing, just need to improve the geometry at the stern and split the hull down the waterline. Hull band is too narrow, need to make it about a foot wider.

Was thinking if I complete this model, would be pretty easy to convert it into an Indiaman and have 2 ships for minimal extra work...

Chop out a few frames, make the hull lines heavier at bow and stern, double stern gallery, altered rigging and details.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hull ready for texturing. Fun...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X