X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixel Shader requirement turning many of us away :(

I just bought my entire PC system only three months ago. It was the top model available at the store at the time and I cannot play this game because the hardware is still not up to date thanks to Pixel Shader 2.0 or better requirement.

I understand developers need to use cutting edge graphics technology to stay on top of the market, but they also need to understand that not everyone can run out and buy expensive new hardware for their PC every time a new game comes out.

This is why Im playing more and more xbox and less and less PC games, particularily MMO's with unreasonable graphics hardware requirements. I finally decided to give a new MMO a try and this is what happens.

My video card is not "top of the line" but its not very old, it has plenty of VRAM and its quite powerful. (Nvidia 8500GT with 256m) but they come out with some new hardware and "poof" buy a new video card or your'e out of the game. It's a decent card and there
    is no reason it shouldn't run today's software in the gaming world.

It's a shame developers forgot that not everyone has the same uber system they are running to test and develop the game. I figured a three month old system would be good enough, I can run any other MMO or 3D game no problem with all graphics maxed and not
    so much as a hiccup.

Such a shame, I can't play this game, I have to take the preorder back to the store, ask for my money back and wait till something else comes out. I'm sure I'm not the only one forced to do this.

To all the supergeeks out there with thousands of dollars and rocketship PCs have fun in the game, us regular people will have to sit this one out.

(edited addendum): This post is not meant as critisizm of the game or it's developers, it's simply a vent. I've later learned that even though the log file states the problem is a pixel shader requirement, it may not be the case and am still working on the issue in hopes that my hardware can still run this game.
    Last edited by Richardus; 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM.

I have a crappy 7900GS and it runs this game fine, a 8500GT shouldn't be a problem. What is the error you are getting?

Comment

I have a very mediocre machine at home and it still runs pretty well for me. What errors are you getting?

Comment

In your case something else may be wrong as 8500s model cards have shader model 4. Can you send us a dxdiag log?

Pixel shader 2.0 has been out for a few years now. AFAIK nvidia has been supporting this in non-laptop GPUs starting with the 6000 series cards.

Comment

Live in the now!

Comment

Originally posted by Richardus View Post
            I just bought my entire PC system only three months ago. It was the top model available at the store at the time and I cannot play this game because the hardware is still not up to date thanks to Pixel Shader 2.0 or better requirement.

I understand developers need to use cutting edge graphics technology to stay on top of the market, but they also need to understand that not everyone can run out and buy expensive new hardware for their PC every time a new game comes out.

This is why Im playing more and more xbox and less and less PC games, particularily MMO's with unreasonable graphics hardware requirements. I finally decided to give a new MMO a try and this is what happens.

My video card is not "top of the line" but its not very old, it has plenty of VRAM and its quite powerful. (Nvidia 8500GT with 256m) but they come out with some new hardware and "poof" buy a new video card or your'e out of the game. It's a decent card and there
            is no reason it shouldn't run today's software in the gaming world.

It's a shame developers forgot that not everyone has the same uber system they are running to test and develop the game. I figured a three month old system would be good enough, I can run any other MMO or 3D game no problem with all graphics maxed and not
            so much as a hiccup.

Such a shame, I can't play this game, I have to take the preorder back to the store, ask for my money back and wait till something else comes out. I'm sure I'm not the only one forced to do this.

To all the supergeeks out there with thousands of dollars and rocketship PCs have fun in the game, us regular people will have to sit this one out.
            This is the 2nd new MMO I have seen recently to require Pixel 2 I have been able to run both with onboard video. I also just upgraded my video card to I believe the same as you and the game runs fine. I am pretty sure whatever problem you are having is not because of pixel 2.

Comment

I'm also going to chime in here and say that it's definitely something else besides the Pixel Shader 2.0. That's been around for at least 4 years now, since SWG. My Nvidia GeForce 5500 had pixel shader 2.0 back in 2004, it's a pretty standard feature.

Is it possible that you're trying to do this with onboard video memory? That could be the case.

Comment

so much as a hiccup.
                Sitting next to my desk is one of our minimum specification test machines. Inside of it is an old GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. One of my responisibilities is automating the game client through every environment in the game to make sure there are no huge performance issues. The game certainly does not look as good with the setting turned down but it is playable.

Comment

And if it makes anyone feel better, I started playing the beta back at the end of March with a 5500 card and 2GB of RAM. If I could function with that, I don't see what the problem could possibly be.

Comment

Yep, Koolaider is right. One of my computers still had the 5500 and only 1 gig of RAM, and I ran it on that rig with no problem.

Comment

Richardus, PixelShader 2.0 was released in 2002 with DirectX 9. It has been in every video card made for years. Your card works fine with PixelShader 2.0.

You are probably thinking of PixelShader 3.0, which is indeed very new and very high-end. We do not require or even use PixelShader 3.0.

Your card should not have any problem playing our game. Whatever the issue is, it's not PixelShader 2.0. Can you explain what problem you're seeing?

Comment

From what I've read, I think I'm having the same problem as Richardus. I have a GeForce 7600GS, which shouldn't have any problems running the game. As soon as the run the game, it asks if I want to run in full screen. Whether I click 'Yes' or 'No', the screen goes black like games usually do when they load and then after a few seconds I'm back at my desktop. Then Windows asks if I want to report the error.
                        Last edited by graybeard; 01-08-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Can you try running in a window and tell us what happens?

Originally posted by graybeard View Post
                          From what I've read, I think I'm having the same problem as Richardus. I have a GeForce 7600GS, which shouldn't have any problems running the game. As soon as the run the game, it asks if I want to run in full screen. Whether I click 'Yes' or 'No', the screen goes black like games usually do when they load and then after a few seconds I'm back at my desktop. Then Windows asks if I want to report the error.

First I had to endure the annoyance of re-downloading the Installer because of the corrupt cab2 file and now this...

Comment

Also please do report the error. We do use that information to investigate crashes.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not adding to the discussion but I'm impressed that within 4 hours and only 13 messages, 5 different persons from FLS actually contributed to that thread. I'm playing games and mmo since many years....never saw that.

I'm very impressed. Very.

Manfred

Comment

Working...
                              X