X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War

Anybody know anything about it? Doing some research on it and could use some extra tips if anyone knows stuff about it.

I know a lot about it, catch me online and I can tell you whatever you want to know.

Comment

I just watched the old PBS series The Civil War. interesting and informative.

Comment

I know a ton about it, send me a pm and I can give you my email to answer questions. My father is a Civil War Historian and has knowledge and reference materials for days.

Comment

Originally posted by William Nelson View Post
          I just watched the old PBS series The Civil War. interesting and informative.
          I've studied alot history, some of it at university, and I find the above series you're mentioning to be one of the best documentaries ever made about the the civil war. It really approaches the entire war from a variety of angles, and does not only focus on the battles and generals.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098769/

Comment

All you need to know is that the one brigade from Vermont (the best brigade sized unit in the Union Army)** broke Pickett's charge (which actually almost broke through the center lines) resulting in the North winning the battle of Gettysburg and turning the tide of the war.

The South's military was led by the greatest military minds this country has ever had and were followed by troops that knew how to fight. The North was a bit like Antigua Britland. In the end population, a manufacturing base and access to the seas won the war for the North.

*A Simple Version*

**I have to dig back 150 years to find something about Vermont that I am proud of...

Comment

Any info on The Battle of Shiloh?

Comment

A civil war is a conflict fought between billigerants within the same realm due to a dispute over the state and/or government, or disputes between factions within the same realm.

Originally posted by John Blackhard View Post
                Any info on The Battle of Shiloh?
                In what year of school are you?
                Last edited by Sensou.Shichiya; 04-19-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Shiloh was fought in Tennessee, where the Union Army of the Tennessee and Army of the Ohio clashed with the Confederate Army of the Mississippi. General Johnston led the Confederates in a surprise attack on Union forces under General Grant, hoping to pin them in the swamps and destroy Grant's Army before reinforcements could arrive. The confusion in the Confederate battle lines, however, allowed Grant to retreat toward Pittsburg Landing. Union troops held a position known as the Hornet's Nest for 7 hours, giving Grant plenty of time to dig in around Pittsburg Landing. Also, General Johnston was killed here, leaving General Beauregard in charge of Confederate forces. As dusk fell, Beauregard stopped his attack. Unknown to him, General Buell became to arrive with his Army of the Ohio shortly after, and by 4 a.m. the next morning had most of his army at the front.

The next day began with the Union troops launching a counterattack. The confederates were in confusion and were driven back. Beauregard realized his men were low on food, ammunition, and he had lost the initiative so he decided to withdraw. Grant did not pursue because his men were exhausted. At the time, this was the bloodiest battle in American history.

Note: Some of this information I used internet sources (I am not too familiar with this particular battle) so if any information is wrong please correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by BSho2 View Post
                    Shiloh was fought in Tennessee, where the Union Army of the Tennessee and Army of the Ohio clashed with the Confederate Army of the Mississippi. General Johnston led the Confederates in a surprise attack on Union forces under General Grant, hoping to pin them in the swamps and destroy Grant's Army before reinforcements could arrive. The confusion in the Confederate battle lines, however, allowed Grant to retreat toward Pittsburg Landing. Union troops held a position known as the Hornet's Nest for 7 hours, giving Grant plenty of time to dig in around Pittsburg Landing. Also, General Johnston was killed here, leaving General Beauregard in charge of Confederate forces. As dusk fell, Beauregard stopped his attack. Unknown to him, General Buell became to arrive with his Army of the Ohio shortly after, and by 4 a.m. the next morning had most of his army at the front.

The next day began with the Union troops launching a counterattack. The confederates were in confusion and were driven back. Beauregard realized his men were low on food, ammunition, and he had lost the initiative so he decided to withdraw. Grant did not pursue because his men were exhausted. At the time, this was the bloodiest battle in American history.

Note: Some of this information I used internet sources (I am not too familiar with this particular battle) so if any information is wrong please correct me.
                    Look over my research paper, sending you a PM.

Comment

College Tip 1: Do not use wikia for any damn thing.

Wait! That may be rule 2, as rule 1 may be do not eat beans night before class.

fc

Comment

I'll bet The Damned Yankees might know something if you can find any of them around

Comment

Originally posted by Thibideaux View Post
                          I'll bet The Damned Yankees might know something if you can find any of them around
                          They were kinda gankers back in 1861.

Comment

Just out of interest the photo I posted here:

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/sho...t=91014&page=5 (post #46)

is 1 of many I took at the Shiloh battlefield. Including a place called "the bloody pond" (because the thirsty wounded from both sides that crawled there turned the mud & water red with blood).

That particular photo shows part of the confederate batteries hastily assembled that stopped the pursuing union troops in their tracks & allowed Beauregard's Southern army to retreat unhindered.

For those interested there are also Indian burial mounds at the extensive national park site. It's well worth a days visit.

Also visited & took some photos at the "Cherry Mansion", across the river a ways, where Generals of both sides had stayed at different times. If I remember 1 general died there, can't recall which 1 though.

Comment

I just had the opportunity to visit a gravesite of Union and Confederate cavalry killed in a battle on the Ft. Bragg installation (way out in the range area). It was very interesting, as some of the Union troopers were from an Alabama regiment! I did further research, and every state in the Confederacy except South Carolina sent at least 1 regiment of white soldiers (upwards of 100,000 total) to the Union army. I did not know this.

Comment

Working...
                              X