X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ship Database - Search, Sort and Compare!

Hello

I had an idea ages ago and finally got around to putting it into practice. I found that neither the in-game help or any of the major sites had a ship database that was any use.

Most of the major sites just copied the data from the in game sheets, which isn't really of much help when you want to put one ship at the side of another and compare stats like for like.

So, as a result... I've made my own. I have some other ideas too, so I built a website around it.

http://www.potbs-companion.net

Unfortunately i've been hard at work coding the site, and haven't been able to input the 100 or so pieces of information for each ship (for 200 ships, thats 20,000 things to fill in!!), thinking that if multiple people did a couple of ships while on long OS runs (it only takes a minute to enter a full ship detail)... it would be quicker and easier (I really wanted to get this online to see what people think). So anyone who wants to enter some ship details would get my thanks.

If people like what they see, i'll move onto some other things which I think could enhance your gaming experience! (Like buy-orders and bounties through the site!!).

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

PS. My Nemesis - Internet Explorer 6, doesn't like it too much. Upgrade!
    Last edited by CaptainKipper; 12-07-2008, 06:25 AM.

Nice one Kipper, keep up the good work.

Comment

I would like some people to help update the ship database, it only takes about a minute to do a ship .... I have just done all of the SoL's so you can see how the system works

Comment

Nice work man I like what i see very nice

Comment

Nice stuff!

Comment

Thanks Kipper - good stuff.

Comment

I would gladly add some shipstats and have registered myself... But I guess I am to stupid to find the Login possibility

Comment

Umm ok.

Found the Login.

Perhaps I should say, that this googleadd on the right, just cover the complete login in the right, with my Firefox. With Opera the Sitelayout works fine.

Comment

Very cool and very nicely laid out. Great work, Cap'n!

Comment

Originally posted by Darion View Post
                    Perhaps I should say, that this googleadd on the right, just cover the complete login in the right, with my Firefox. With Opera the Sitelayout works fine.
                    What OS / version of firefox are you using? I've looked at in FF3.04 under XP and Vista, and despite some tiny differences which I can't explain but intend to fix, I hadn't noticed any major problems..?

Comment

Thanks to those that have signed up to the site and entered in some ship stats, I have been doing the same myself. I would however like to put out a call to the community at large just to log in and do one or two ships and between us we can get everything up to date.

I'm hoping perhaps this weekend to be able to write a page which will give you the complete data for a ship on a single page, with the ability to compare to one or two other ships directly. I also have a plan for people to be able to enter in their character details and their specific ship details (so they can compare their outfitted versions with the standard stock), but first things first with the ship database.

On that note - can anyone tell me how to go about working out the accuracy for distances other than 200 and 400 yards so I can factor it into create DPS at say, 100, and 600 yards?

Thanks to those that have helped, thanks in advance to those that will :-)

Comment

Updated System

OK, You can now click on the ship name in the list and see a full page of all its statistics.

On the stats page, you can pull a drop down of all other ships - select one, and compare the two, stat by stat - next to one another. The system automatically gives you percentage differences for each stat either in green (original ship is better) or red (original ship is worse).

This way, you can now easily see exactly how two ships stack up against each other.

Coming soon - store your own ship data (ie, with your outfitting loadout) and compare that to any ship in the list.

Thanks to those who have been entering ship details

Comment

OK, just wanted to tell you about another update. You can now change your account details once you log in, should you wish a password change or whatever, theres also a couple of optional fields you can put in for demographic purposes (more curiosity on my part than anything, tbh).

More interestingly however, you can now set up your basic "Captain Profiles" - which is a record of each of your avatars, what server they live on etc. This is all going to become clear in the near future as your captains on the website (which should be the same as the ones in game) are your avenues for the social side of the site I have planned... Next stop, virtual buy orders

Comment

Observation on the site

I had a look at your PotBS companion website. It is good. I did note something that might be off. When I compare two ships... a ship with guns that reload in a greater period of time is seen as a positive (i.e. in green). Wasn;t sure if this had been mentioned.

Mungo

Comment

Originally posted by Mungo View Post
                              I had a look at your PotBS companion website. It is good. I did note something that might be off. When I compare two ships... a ship with guns that reload in a greater period of time is seen as a positive (i.e. in green). Wasn;t sure if this had been mentioned.
                              Thanks Mungo

Fixed that. And also added a comparison for total broadside armament as well as the individual decks.

Comment

Working...
                              X