X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon Acc Changes

This was a snippet from the newsletter Portalus sent out. It doesn't mention anything quite as specific in the devlog announcements, but I figure I'd share it here to reach a wider audience.

For all those crying about the loss of line fighting with the coming patch, I'd like to direct you to this bullet point. Try not to to hang on every word like I have. I feel like a 7th grade school girl who just got passed a note from like, the cutest boy in school!!!!!

"Cannons are being rebalanced to bring back ship brawling and allow for more customization. Build ships with short-barreled cannons for quick reloads or long-barreled cannons for devastating accuracy at long range!"

Devastating accuracy at long range? Does anyone else truly think this means that brawling is soon to be our only option?

The only people who think it's going to break the game and make brawling the only option and make priates OP are the same people that QQ with every little change to the game.

It makes my head spin thinking about how this patch is going to change the make up of every port battle and group fight from then on...I can't wait.

Comment

It is pretty obvious this patch will bring much more diversity to the game.

"Our intention is to make close range combat effective and deadly, kiting at mid-ranges difficult to pull off due to the careful range management needed to hit well but extremely effective when done well, and kiting at extreme ranges far less deadly than it is now."

The developers intention is made pretty clear and it will be only game breaking to those that cannot adapt to change.

Comment

You have much faith in this team. Did you see the rough graph of range/distance? And you think you'll be able to range fight? Maybe with 24 NOs but it'll just be like the time i sat in front of 6 1st rates in a hellbrand and their spike couldn't sink me.

And peck, the people who said OS pvp would die out were mostly right. I love how the people with massive populations don't see a problem.

I love brawling so I think it might be ok but it's gonna make the rats just silly OP unless there is an ACTUAL nerf (as opposed to the imaginary one ever rat thinks has happened).

Comment

Did you read the post where Fodderboy clarified?

It's here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Matt View Post

It's here.
            Lol ya and that clarifies so much....

This game needs players. That is the only thing they should be addressing now. Adding a new concept to a game with an already steep learning curve makes zero sense and, as an added bonus, benefits long time players with an understanding of the existing mechanics. Now they want to add customizable cannons? Yayzus christo.

If they want to fix the range issue, which i freely admit i did not totally understand until today, start by getting rid of range mods that boost range AND accuracy AND damage. What genius thought giving players mods like this was a good idea? I mean 4% range boost from a powder? Lol no wonder they're having problems. Just make these mods boost range and damage with a big negative to accuracy. People want to range fit? Fine but it should come at -8 to accuracy or more. Making the game more complex will only make it less accessible to new players and that's a bad thing imo.

Add to this that most changes thus far have really unbalanced the game vis-a-vis the populated nations versus the underpopulated nations and the new players with limited access to decent boats and vets who can buy or make anything they want. It's a completely unneccessary change and worse, easy to fix withing the existing mods.

Comment

I agree that it is a strange choice of things to overhaul when there's other plenty of easier things to fix (like the editing of AH orders that Fodder said he would look into in Feb).

But on the bright side, when they talk about eventually switching to individual cannons in the long term, that at least tells me that they are doing well enough to be hopeful about the game's future. At least I hope that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Matt View Post

It's here.
                When Fodder clarified the changes to cannon accuracy, he may have further muddied the water when he said:

"This implementation is a new model for cannon and by that I mean everything that associates with cannon is also subject to change. Damage, reload, range, and lerp mods for each cannon are all being adjusted individually. Ship structure, armor, cannon complement, tracking, damage resistance and defense values are all also part of this implementation. Outfittings, skills and consumables may also see adjustments if necessary as part of this process. Even the economy is affected as there are changes in how cannon are constructed and adjustments will occur there as well."

This paragraph basically says everything is changing. Everything. Ship structure, armor, cannon complement, tracking, damage resistance, and defense values? We're talking about recreating ships/the game as we know it. Let's not get bent out of shape until we see what this looks like in test environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hootuk Myrum View Post
                  This paragraph basically says everything is changing. Everything. Ship structure, armor, cannon complement, tracking, damage resistance, and defense values? We're talking about recreating ships/the game as we know it. Let's not get bent out of shape until we see what this looks like in test environment.
                  It's a discussion. No one is getting bent out of shape or otherwise.

The question is why this change now and is it a move in a direction that benefits the players and portalus?

Comment

With all the changes...its almost as if we are in a sort of a Beta period...and the game will look very different in 6 months.

So hang in there...keep testing it out....try to enjoy yourself...and give the team the feedback to make it better.

Comment

Originally posted by DCarebear View Post
                      Lol ya and that clarifies so much....

This game needs players. That is the only thing they should be addressing now. Adding a new concept to a game with an already steep learning curve makes zero sense and, as an added bonus, benefits long time players with an understanding of the existing mechanics. Now they want to add customizable cannons? Yayzus christo.

If they want to fix the range issue, which i freely admit i did not totally understand until today, start by getting rid of range mods that boost range AND accuracy AND damage. What genius thought giving players mods like this was a good idea? I mean 4% range boost from a powder? Lol no wonder they're having problems. Just make these mods boost range and damage with a big negative to accuracy. People want to range fit? Fine but it should come at -8 to accuracy or more. Making the game more complex will only make it less accessible to new players and that's a bad thing imo.
                      I feel the same way about all these changes. I've been around for a couple of years and sometimes it comes down to a point when I just think I really don't care if the devs decide to make the ships fire meatballs and all the skills be magical powers that are learnt from vodoo wizards and ghosts, but stop changing everything this way.
                      I'd support the addition of new content, even if it is superior to the old one, while leaving a base system untouched, I don't like changes in core mechanics like this one in an already very complex scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Asta666 View Post
                        I feel the same way about all these changes. I've been around for a couple of years and sometimes it comes down to a point when I just think I really don't care if the devs decide to make the ships fire meatballs and all the skills be magical powers that are learnt from vodoo wizards and ghosts, but stop changing everything this way.
                        I'd support the addition of new content, even if it is superior to the old one, while leaving a base system untouched, I don't like changes in core mechanics like this one in an already very complex scenario.
                        The new system is to attract new players and only some of the older players complain because it changes their ways. The question is can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Darkrage View Post
                          The new system is to attract new players and only some of the older players complain because it changes their ways. The question is can you teach an old dog new tricks?
                          I don't think that is the point. As DCarebear says in the post I previously quoted "Making the game more complex will only make it less accessible to new players and that's a bad thing".
                          If you don't agree could you tell me how do you think this change in particular will attract new players? Sorry but a cheap metaphor is not a convincing argument to me. Same regarding the other changes... the only one I remember now that I really think could have an impact in that direction is the addition of some new ships and models. The rest is just tweaking of mechanics new players mostly never finish to understand or even get to know about.

Comment

why not instead of doing this just give different sized cannons different ranges depending on there poundage? so 16lb cannons would fire further than 12 lb cannons and with better accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Darkrage View Post
                              The old dogs will be fine lol. I already understand the mechanics AND i know how to sail. It will be a simple matter for vets like me to incorporate any new changes to cannons into our playstyle. If you think that is why i think this is a bad idea you're wrong. I think it's a bad idea because it further complicates an already complicated game. The learning curve is already a detriment to player retention and imo population is the number 1 problem this game has and rather than address it, the new changes are actually making it worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X