X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throttle View Post
    No I don't Dragonfly, was stating that that's how I personally make my funds for eco and I'm almost certain I'm not the only person in the whole game that fleets for eco. There are other ways for making money and so on and so forth, I just find popping a fleet is easier for me, while at the same time the FT scaving and getting mats for ship building ect.
    ROFL

Dude, are you seriously telling me, you have to continuously fleet to fund doing eco? LOL. I was seriously low balling prices to help players, particularly new players. But at no time was I running a loss - always managed to make a profit even after producing bundles for flips and defence. If you can't manage to turn a profit from eco, then you aren't really doing eco!

Comment

Have too? No but I like too in an hour I can pull in a 200k or more in cash alone not counting loot items, I easily make profit on the stuff I make and then spit out bronze shot as well. Some strange reason I like fleeting, but I also like port battles, because then I can take my bigger ships and know they have some protection as we all have common goal.

Comment

I would say fleeting has been an issue for a long time, but it also is how the game is set up. The game requires us to fleet to force pb, unless some magical patch happened between 09 when I last played and today. Does it break eco? Some say yes some say no, but lets look at the reason people fleet. If you're a lowbie fleeting is the only way to really level up, I would say from 1-35 you have to fleet because of the lack of lowbie ships on market ect. Why do high levels fleet? I would say they do it to get money, help noobs, did I mention money? So these are the two groups you find within fleets. The endgame is a credit sink, so high levels need to grind up money to even really take part in pb's, random ganks, eco (Unless you alt spam like a mother). So what can we do about this? Nothing really, just play the game and hope they get around to fixing this system.

Comment

"The game requires us to fleet to force pb, ..."
          Not really (blockading, bundles & marks are the rule for flips), but I'd love to see more RvR-related fleeting for unrest (and for that they'd deserve the influence and XP).

"If you're a lowbie fleeting is the only way to really level up, I would say from 1-35 you have to fleet because of the lack of lowbie ships on market ect..."
          Not quite, although a common perception. By the way, the most efficient way is levelling to 25 by fleeting, after that you're faster with missions (and an appropriate ship). Mind you, that doesn't help the learning curve of new players and they might make level 50 and still don't know their career skill enough to do anything else than fleet, then fail at anything else but fleet and then retire to nothing else but fleet before eventually wandering off again.

On the lowbie ship availability, I made it a point of my eco to supply standard affordable lowbie boats and riggings to my nation in Bartica, e.g. I was selling van Hoorns @25k and riggings such that at level 12 you could fully outfit the standard ship at less than 30k of the AH, and you should have 35k+ at that level from missions alone. Before I took up that practice, those prices were 45k and up (I wonder, if they returned there since I stopped doing eco).

"Why do high levels fleet? I would say they do it to get money,..."
          Which is perfectly fine and as it should be, and as per latest release notes the direction the game is going.

But, and that to recall is the core of my issue, it also throws off ridiculous amounts of influence, that other RvR related activities cannot match. So they can outbid you for governorship, which as priority-eco player I would be interested in just to keep the infra up and defend any unrest (and I wouldn't care about the daily salary or whatever those fancy clothes actually are). Fleeter-govs mostly are just interested in the salary and the prestige cloths and title, they might stick around to defend the port when attacked (I've seen some rage-resign when the unrest went over 6000, lol), but all too often they don't care about (and have no concept of) infra and taxes. And that is how they kill eco, slowly but surely.

"So what can we do about this? Nothing really, just play the game and hope they get around to fixing this system."
          That, OR find myself another game to spend my time and money on.

Comment

And the solution doesn't need to be complex new mechanics.

1) Undo the lazy FLS programming where influence is tied to xp.
            2) Create a separate type of influence-only xp
            3) Safely tie the new xp type to anything you want without worrying about exploitable leveling. Recipes, PVP, fleeting - make it so all these things generate equal influence xp.

4) Optionally - give the influence directly to the players. Allow them to donate to societies and vice versa.

It would be sweet if the influence xp could be tied to specific ports, but that's probably asking way too much right now.

Comment

Even simpler, remove XP and infl from fleeting, unless it happens to be connected with the red, i.e. if you are creating unrest, once it goes over 3000 the fleeting generates XP and infl. NOTE, you don't have to be in the red for that! Only if it hits 6000 you'd be in the red (with the exception of some tiny bubbles like Riding Rock may be, never quite understood, why those are that tiny).

And for 4), always give any infl to players, it's theirs, they earned it.

Comment

FT's ......especially ones with large econs make the best governors.
                They understand econ and it's importance better than anyone else, they have the resources to makes lots of bundles and they are often on a lot........meaning they can mount a very effective defense of a port.
                They are not in it for the money.....a nice coat or for a fancy heading.

Someone who just does pvp may not give a damn about the infrastructure & economy of the port and doesn't make bundles.......he might even like to see it in the red.
                This would not be good.

So if we want the best governors, influence needs to be tied to economic activity.
                Last edited by Rockwell; 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

@Dragonfly - Hey how about we get rid of PVP? I mean everyone post on here daily how it's imbalanced or how so few people pvp that it's just ganks and no fun. It's obviously very broken at the moment. Well Fleeting works. It's not broken, it allows people to buy stuff on the economy and support the econ, and it's NOT BROKEN. Actually the treasure chest and elite fleets made it more popular lately.

Seriously though... Someone has a 1st Rate Victory other then being a Skrim boat what do you expect them to do with it if not fleet? Going to PB's? Yeah.. lets spend 35mil on a SOV so it can be sinked in a PB. I'm sure those players love the idea of grinding for months to build a first rate just to see it burn.

The point is fleeting is a culture for players who enjoy fighting with their big ships, but don't want to lose their mind regrinding a 30mil ship every couple months.

Thing is PVP cost money.. Yeah if your winning great i'm sure your loving it, but most people lose. Thats lost money, lost outfittings, it takes time and money for people to put a pvp ship back together and losing 10 times or more makes you miserable.

Fleeting, hell you rarely die in a fleet and it's all profit. Yeah i know if i win some pb's i get some marks.. Marks are a dime a dozen my friend my lvl 13 bucc has a couple hundred on him because i needed somewhere else to put them.

Basically the learning curve for pvp is expensive and daunting and there is a lack of good pvp'ers to teach newcomers who don't have a Crappy attitude. You goto pvp fights you get players talking crap all the time, you goto fleets you meet friendly people willing to accept about anyone. Big Difference in why one of you is getting smaller and the other is getting bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Were Rabbitz View Post
                    @Dragonfly - Hey how about we get rid of PVP? I mean everyone post on here daily how it's imbalanced or how so few people pvp that it's just ganks and no fun. It's obviously very broken at the moment. Well Fleeting works. It's not broken, it allows people to buy stuff on the economy and support the econ, and it's NOT BROKEN. Actually the treasure chest and elite fleets made it more popular lately.

Seriously though... Someone has a 1st Rate Victory other then being a Skrim boat what do you expect them to do with it if not fleet? Going to PB's? Yeah.. lets spend 35mil on a SOV so it can be sinked in a PB. I'm sure those players love the idea of grinding for months to build a first rate just to see it burn.

The point is fleeting is a culture for players who enjoy fighting with their big ships, but don't want to lose their mind regrinding a 30mil ship every couple months.

Thing is PVP cost money.. Yeah if your winning great i'm sure your loving it, but most people lose. Thats lost money, lost outfittings, it takes time and money for people to put a pvp ship back together and losing 10 times or more makes you miserable.

Fleeting, hell you rarely die in a fleet and it's all profit. Yeah i know if i win some pb's i get some marks.. Marks are a dime a dozen my friend my lvl 13 bucc has a couple hundred on him because i needed somewhere else to put them.

Basically the learning curve for pvp is expensive and daunting and there is a lack of good pvp'ers to teach newcomers who don't have a Crappy attitude. You goto pvp fights you get players talking crap all the time, you goto fleets you meet friendly people willing to accept about anyone. Big Difference in why one of you is getting smaller and the other is getting bigger.
                    Do people really fleet for entertainment? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by DCarebear View Post
                      Do people really fleet for entertainment? Wow.
                      Like Were said, what else you expect me to do with my Sov? I'll take to PB as soon as you start paying for the dura on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle View Post
                        Like Were said, what else you expect me to do with my Sov? I'll take to PB as soon as you start paying for the dura on it.
                        I don't particularly care what you do with it tbh. Just asking a question.

Comment

I then enjoy fleeting. i'm not very good at pvp so sailing around in a 600k ship handing out Marks to people who are far better then me and losing matches and losing tons of dubloons isn't exactly fun either.

I like fleeting, I like trying out different combinations of outfits and the fact that I gain money from it and nto risking pricey ships. I'm not a old vet who has been here and earned lots of money or a new guys who's got the time to be economically ambitious. I plan to lvl my new toon up and then fleet to keep me playing in PB's because I enjoy the RolePlaying of defneding ports and giant line battles. 1v1 pvp is the most uninteresting thing i've encountered in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Were Rabbitz View Post
                            I then enjoy fleeting. i'm not very good at pvp so sailing around in a 600k ship handing out Marks to people who are far better then me and losing matches and losing tons of dubloons isn't exactly fun either.

I like fleeting, I like trying out different combinations of outfits and the fact that I gain money from it and nto risking pricey ships. I'm not a old vet who has been here and earned lots of money or a new guys who's got the time to be economically ambitious. I plan to lvl my new toon up and then fleet to keep me playing in PB's because I enjoy the RolePlaying of defneding ports and giant line battles. 1v1 pvp is the most uninteresting thing i've encountered in this game.
                            Funny how people like different aspects of the game - 1v1 PvP is the only part of the game I love now LOL. It just shows that this game does accommodate everyone's taste - and no one faction of play should dominate... so well done!

Comment

Working...
                            X