X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: get out of a port in a pvp zone.

This keeps getting asked and being complained about so I thought I would collect the various ways to get out in one place that I can point people to when it comes up next time.

Firstly the basics. Whenever you log on press M. Yes you logged off in a perfectly safe port with no contention anywhere near it, but this is a very dynamic world, unlike the static worlds in most MMOs. You may be in the middle or the outskirts of a large pvp zone within hours of your last login.

So you have checked the world map, and your port is in a pvp zone. DON'T PANIC. You can get away without pvp if you don't want it. Here are some of the things you can do:

*Pop out of port a moment WITHOUT MOVING AT ALL, have a look around, see if it is safe to sail away. If not, pop back in immediately, and wait, have another look. You are protected one minit on exiting port if you don't move at all. (This is not the same as the invisibility on exiting a combat instance)

*Pop out of port and again without moving attack an NPC that passes close. On exiting that battle instance you will be invisible a short time and can use that time to either get away or grab another npc for cover. The battle exit invisibility doesn't wear off from moving so you can sail a short way before it goes. (Careful though, if the npc you attack is the same nation as the players trying to catch you they may be able to enter too.)

*Have someone outside the port scout out enemies and report when it's safe to leave.

*Have someone outside port attack the enemies that are waiting there so you can get away.

*Exit with a bunch of others and hope that you are not the one attacked.

Or you can instead go talk with the harbormaster and book passage (teleport) to another of your ships in a safer location.

I'm sure I have missed things, feel free to add.

Nice summary, now i have something to link when people whine about dying this way.

Comment

Items that may shock you.

Some ports, New Orleans for example spawn you to far out side the port to reenter the port with out moving.

If you are in a NATIONAL PvP area beware the NPC's you attack to try and hide from the players. If the NPC's are the same faction as a player the player CAN enter the battle. I lost a ship to Pirates this way when I attempted to hide from them in an battle with Brethren NPC's.

Know that you can still run missions from a port in a PvP zone as the instances for the missions are not on the open sea.

If you have production in a port that is in a PvP zone and you DID NOT leave a ship there allowing you to "teleport" that is your own lack of foresight.

If you only can play with one ship and can not use another to xp with how did you get in your current ship? XP on the open sea is based on SHIP LEVEL. At level 30 I can still get xp in a Bermuda Sloop.

If you are like me and spend most of your time in MMO's solo you will eventually lose ship durability in this game. It may be a 6v1 and you had no chance to get away. If you can get past the /ragequit you may just start to think about what you are doing rather than assume that you can do what you want.

Comment

Personally, as a Pirate...I just keep a Dark-Dark Wrapped Gear handy, and slap on my Stealth 2 and make a run for it. Doesn't always work....but it helps. My MC Stral...you can't see me unless you are 18 miles away from me...lol

Comment

I have thought the PvP rules (enter in 60 seconds) are counting for all battles in the full PvP zone? Or am I completely wrong here....

Comment

If you are a FT us a respec if you are in a port of your nation. Take the skill that gives you a 30 sec of not being able to be attacked. Respecs are cheap. Only cost you 10 small penns.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilleth View Post
              I have thought the PvP rules (enter in 60 seconds) are counting for all battles in the full PvP zone?
              Yes, why do you ask? I don't see anyone contradicting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Acker View Post
                Some ports, New Orleans for example spawn you to far out side the port to reenter the port with out moving.
                That is a bug and should be reported when it happens.

Originally posted by Acker View Post
                If you are in a NATIONAL PvP area beware the NPC's you attack to try and hide from the players. If the NPC's are the same faction as a player the player CAN enter the battle. I lost a ship to Pirates this way when I attempted to hide from them in an battle with Brethren NPC's.
                All pvp areas are national. Pirates count as a nation.

I mentioned this risk in my first post.

Comment

I left a port in pvp last night and saw that preparing for battle icon that I see when leaving a battle, and it says I can't attack, but others can still attack me? And yes I was moving and a lvl 50 (I'm 17) did not attack me.

Comment

I thought you were only protected 30 seconds after existing a port?

Comment

Originally posted by DreadPirateSmith View Post
                      I left a port in pvp last night and saw that preparing for battle icon that I see when leaving a battle, and it says I can't attack, but others can still attack me? And yes I was moving and a lvl 50 (I'm 17) did not attack me.
                      The preparing icon only means you can't attack other players, you are still at risk of being attacked.
                      Last edited by karkh; 02-14-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry View Post
                        I thought you were only protected 30 seconds after existing a port?
                        Pretty sure it's a minit, but may feel like less as that includes your load time. My old comp took about 30 seconds to load open sea and I was still protected long enough to look around...

Comment

Another option is to have a friend or society mate go out as bait. Once they engage that person, head out and sail past.

Comment

Good post full of information and ideas. Thanks I know I have some 'changes' to make.

I dident see anyone mention that if you have a ship in another port you can 'teleport' to that ship.
                            Last edited by UlteriorModem; 02-14-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

It is a very good post full of information and ideas and options it is a lot better than some other posts attacking people who don't know how to do these things in game. Kudos to karkh for taking the high road and trying to help folks out.

Comment

Working...
                              X