X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whos Steering my ship?

Hi every one any ways I was like woundering how come on alot of ships your captains not behind the ships wheel...or near the ships wheel or streaing thingy of the ship but standing some were elss thats not close to ships wheel or streaing thingy?

Any ways Flyinglab can u make it so that Captains in ship battle stand behind there ships wheel like there streaing it...dose any one elss think all captians should be behind there ships wheel too??

and can u make it so when u turn your ship your ships Rudder turns with were your turning too.
    Last edited by SamanthaPink; 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM.

Umm, the captain commands the ship, he doesn't steer it. That's the job of the helmsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryokan76 View Post
      Umm, the captain commands the ship, he doesn't steer it. That's the job of the helmsman.
      well how come there no one behind the ship wheel of the ship there no crew near it or atleast not behind the wheel?

And captains do to strear ships just not all the time and helmsman strear ships when captains too bissy or injurded or doing some thing elss or a sleep.But wail on Captains duty most the time captains do strear there ships but some dont cuz they feel there better needed elss were.

(in 1700s Captain were famis for taking the wheel and pirate captain did most the time after a helmsman were rare most time it was the quarter master acting helmsman on pirate ships.)

In monder days captain do take command of there ship but not much only when they want or need to ever bin on a curse ship i seen the captain stear the ship alot of time ever bin sailing in real life my daddy stears his ship alot.Helsman were like co-pilits on a plan,just on a ship there called helsman.
      Last edited by SamanthaPink; 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I'm going to have to ask you for the source of where you found the fact that the captain of the ship is the one who steers it, except when he's busy. You'd think his duties as commander of the ship didn't leave much time for standing at the wheel.

And what's the duty of the helmsman, if it's the captain who steers the ship - except standing around waiting for the captain to be busy.

Comment

Besides, "steering" a sail ship is not made with the wheel alone. You need also to decide how the sails have to be trimmed and which ones to raise or lower.

Later I'll put a link to a 3-masted ship simulator. Try to steer her just with the helm.

but, otoh, it looks odd lots of crewmne at the guns and moving among the rigging, but nobody at the helm.

Comment

I wondered the same thing as samanthapink theres no one behind the wheel of my 4th rate it would take bout 2 guys to turn that wheel :P

Comment

Originally posted by redchilli pepper View Post
              I wondered the same thing as samanthapink theres no one behind the wheel of my 4th rate it would take bout 2 guys to turn that wheel :P
              That's why OSHA won't allow them back there. A 30lb load is the maximum acceptable, your ship will need to be refitted.

Comment

o check this out these cannons sound awsome XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6vC...eature=related start the vid form 5:20

Comment

Originally posted by Ryokan76 View Post
                  I'm going to have to ask you for the source of where you found the fact that the captain of the ship is the one who steers it, except when he's busy. You'd think his duties as commander of the ship didn't leave much time for standing at the wheel.

And what's the duty of the helmsman, if it's the captain who steers the ship - except standing around waiting for the captain to be busy.
                  proof scmoof!

Pirates of the Caribean! Captain Jack Sparrow....

/grin

Comment

Captain's wouldn't steer their own ships because its like having a sign written in bright green goo saying "oh hai der, aim your guns at meh"

Comment

In the USS Enterprise. The Captain just sits on his chair and orders everyone around. He he he!

Comment

how about deh rudder ?why is it not able to turn?

Comment

I'm frankly upset that they havn't added a way for me to dive through the computer screen into the actual carribean.

Comment

Technically during this time period (at least for the british navy) captains wouldn't even be in command of the ship at all.

During this time period in the british navy the ship was commanded be the Ship's Master and the Ship's captain was infact a military officer incharge of the marine contingent onboard.

It wasn't until the very late 18th century that the birtish navy merged the marine units into the crew thus negating the need for a seperate commander and making the ship command position that of captain, relegating the ships master to a glorified helmsman.

Comment

Working...
                            X