-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

Best General Hull modification that can be built?

Just out of curiosity, I'm look for a cheap/budget/alternative way to outfit the GENERAL section of a ship. I know the usual stuff like discordant reinforcement, but wondering what is the best possible general hull modification that can be built? Right now it seems like Hercules Hull or Poseidon Hull modification as that's what I can build, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Sorry just to clarify, by built I meant crafted. Thanks.
  • If you want to pew pew you need mov, coc, mission stuff. About crafting cant help you. Sorry.
  • Oh yeah that I know, discordant reinforcement 3, treacherous cannons, cantonese/efficient powder etc. I'm just looking as I've said in the first post the closest thing in the hull general category that can be crafted to a discordant reinforcement 3. It won't be close I know, but I just want to know the closest possible best crafted thing. This is mostly for fleeting/daily ships and I don't want to put those expensive mov, coc, Bey's/FDL/BT on them but want to be as close as possible in terms of general hull. Thanks.
  • discord hull is from mov/mot/coc treach guns if iremember right are from beys and efficent 5 you can gather that from fleeting iv picked up a few in my days alll have been used tho sadly
    one and only Rita Wolf
  • Hi delaine, thanks for the answer, I know how to get those, I'm just asking what is the best general hull modification that can be Crafted. Thanks.
  • Try them both, run the one that works best with your career spec.

Frankly they both are crap.

The best armor generals are disco 3 (mov), Vic 2 (coc) Dauntless 5 (fleet drop), reinforced armor (fleet drop), traitors armor blood stained (beys), Dutch warranty (Dutch rep trade in), juggernaut armor (daily mission trade in).

The craftable armor are only useful while leveling up.
    Fortitudo, Fidem, Animositas
  • edited April 10
    If you use F1 ingame -> Ship Outfitting: General you can see all the general mods which can be crafted (if you have learned the required recipe).

From that list, I would say:
    Ares' Cannon Modification 4 (+7.5% damage)
    Extra Powder Magazine 4 (+10% reload) OR Explosive Powder 2 (+11% damage but -5.5% reload)

Hercules' Hull Modification 4 (+11.25% armor hp), which is alot better than Poseidon's Hull Modification 4 (only +6.75% armor damage resistance). Good for overall.
    Reinforced Gun Ports 4 (+13% broadside armor hp), which is better than Hercules' if you only use your broadsides for taking damage. Good for fleeting, if you are NOT the first ship in line, cause that one takes alot of bow armor damage.
    Reinforced Structure 4 (+9.4% structure hp) is good if you are afraid of either getting shot in the bow or stern.
    Teak Armor 3 is an option if your ship has low armor DR and high armor hp. More information about DR: potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Reduction

St. Elmo's Masts Modification 4 (+26.5% sails hp) would be the general item for sail tanking (others are real crap).
    Streamlined Structure or Studding Sails are not advised, since other players will catch you, even with this crap on.
    “If you are getting sunk in a port battle don’t blame me, blame yourself”
    Captain’s Vuur famous words.

Playing since 2009 for Spain, Roberts
    -----------------------------------------------
    Robert Vuur (FT)
    Samuel Vuur (NO)
    Spanish Navy Society Leader
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjtkeUxKdEzN9xopJr_52rg
  • Awesome, thanks for the link on Damage Reduction Vs Damage Resitance.

Do I understand correctly? Hercules’ 4 will make the native Damage Reduction of a ship last 11.25% Longer where as the same ship with Poseidon’s 4 would get the same DRED as a Hercules’ 4 Outfitted Ship plus would resist (DRES) 6.75% of the incoming damage initially and a little less as the armor sustained more damage.

If so, Poseidon’s takes less Damage Per Second while Hercules takes more damage but the armor will last longer, right? It makes me wonder which is really better.

Thanks again.
  • @Captain Vuur thank you so much! Interesting, that's where I have a hard time deciding armor integrity vs Armor Resistance vs Armor Reduction, dunno what exactly to choose, but you've helped me. I think I've decided on this for a budget build according to your info:

This is for General Outfitttings only:
    Hercules Hull Modification 4
    Overloaded cannons 2 (-8 crew resistance if crew doesn't matter)/or Ares Cannon Modification
    Extra Powder Magazine 4(I don't like the minus reload on explosive either)

Sounds like a very good budget build until one can get all the mov/coc/dailies stuff. Of course, anything else is appreciate, but this seems like a very good budget build for cheap pvp or non pvp ships.
  • @Captain Vuur thank you so much! Interesting, that's where I have a hard time deciding armor integrity vs Armor Resistance vs Armor Reduction, dunno what exactly to choose, but you've helped me. I think I've decided on this for a budget build according to your info:

Overloaded cannons 2 (-8 crew resistance if crew doesn't matter)/or Ares Cannon Modification

Sounds like a very good budget build until one can get all the mov/coc/dailies stuff. Of course, anything else is appreciate, but this seems like a very good budget build for cheap pvp or non pvp ships.

I would personally just fleet and get Treacherous Cannons 3, Teak Armor 1st rate + Resilient 5 and Extra Powder Magazine 1st rate/Efficient Powder Room 5...
  • edited April 11
    Ramelli said:

Awesome, thanks for the link on Damage Reduction Vs Damage Resitance.

Do I understand correctly? Hercules’ 4 will make the native Damage Reduction of a ship last 11.25% Longer where as the same ship with Poseidon’s 4 would get the same DRED as a Hercules’ 4 Outfitted Ship plus would resist (DRES) 6.75% of the incoming damage initially and a little less as the armor sustained more damage.

If so, Poseidon’s takes less Damage Per Second while Hercules takes more damage but the armor will last longer, right? It makes me wonder which is really better.

Thanks again.

Hercules' 4 adds +11.25% armor hp, so you are correct about the native Damage Reduction. Same counts for sails DR if you take St. Elmo's 4. Damage resistance (Poseidon's 4) also benefits the native Damage Reduction, but only 6.75% instead of the 11.25%.

Simple put: you can say that Poseidon's 4 = 11.25 - 6.75 = 4.5% worse than Hercules' 4, but you will be wrong in battle. Since most consumables (like Hull Patch) repair a flat amount of hp, this value is not increased by Hercules' 4, but is 6.75% increased if you have Poseidon's 4 or any other item that gives damage resistance. If you have a big ship with lots of hp, this flat amount of hp gained from a consumable is relatively less than if you have smaller ship with less hp. Too many variables to give a general answer, but you can calculate it yourself :-).

Also damage resistance is capped at either +50% (you take 50% less damage) or -50% (you take 50% more damage). If you are a Naval Officer (NO) or Cutthroat (CT) and you use Invincible/TMTD your damage resistance will be set at 50% for structure, armor, sails and crew. Fittings for damage resistance won't contribute at all in this situation.

Robert Vuur (FT)
    Samuel Vuur (NO)
  • Good to know. Thanks!
  • edited April 11

@Captain Vuur thank you so much! Interesting, that's where I have a hard time deciding armor integrity vs Armor Resistance vs Armor Reduction, dunno what exactly to choose, but you've helped me. I think I've decided on this for a budget build according to your info:

-8% crew damage resistance means that your crew will take 8% more damage (dies faster). Crew damage resistance in general has very little value, because if someone wants to decrew (board) you, he will decrew you anyways. That's because grape/canister shot deal so much crew damage close range. To avoid boarding, keep at range (300+ yards), where both grape/canister shot are useless, and nobody can grapple you if you are moving at a few knots (check that ingame) and only at 0-50 yards you can throw your grapples.

In a scenario where you are sailing a Juggernaut ship, potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Juggernaut, keeping up your crew becomes very important, it would be a pity to lose a ship like that to a, very cheap, fregate.

Robert Vuur (FT)
    Samuel Vuur (NO)