-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

Newcomer

I wanted to play this game back when it first came out, and honestly I forgot about it until just this week.
So, out of curiousity is it common for people to run diagonally in this game while on land? Ive noticed it has that vector issue a lot really old games had where running diagonally would make you run faster. Basically, you have two Vectors that are equal (lets say they're equal to one) so on a triangle, the edges would be 1, 1 and root 2 (1.41)...meaning the character moves 1 and a half times as fast when he's moving diagonally.

also I never watch a guide, video, website or anything for this game. Im completely green. I started out as a spaniard as a privateer. not sure if this was a good move, or whatever but I just based it off of character description. If theres any tips or anything for a newbie, im all ears.

Comments

• rayx0r said:

I wanted to play this game back when it first came out, and honestly I forgot about it until just this week.
    So, out of curiousity is it common for people to run diagonally in this game while on land? Ive noticed it has that vector issue a lot really old games had where running diagonally would make you run faster. Basically, you have two Vectors that are equal (lets say they're equal to one) so on a triangle, the edges would be 1, 1 and root 2 (1.41)...meaning the character moves 1 and a half times as fast when he's moving diagonally.

also I never watch a guide, video, website or anything for this game. Im completely green. I started out as a spaniard as a privateer. not sure if this was a good move, or whatever but I just based it off of character description. If theres any tips or anything for a newbie, im all ears.

Yes.
  • I have many videos where I do just that. Most good boarders too, I can upload them.

I started as the CT Cebrián Cabrero in April 2011 on the Antigua server, started practicing 1v1 in July 2016.

My best work so far:

• hehe .. :) thanks
    im gonna try and stick with a little longer. i sort of lost my bread crumb quests if there ..are any. i got out of the tutorial and did everythng where i landed and .. am i on my own now?
  • rayx0r said:

hehe .. :) thanks
    im gonna try and stick with a little longer. i sort of lost my bread crumb quests if there ..are any. i got out of the tutorial and did everythng where i landed and .. am i on my own now?

I might be able to help sometime.
  • Which server you play?
  • edited March 22
    I'm on Antigua

Quick question. Are you locked to a faction/nation once you create a character and choose a faction? I'm not sure which one to play but I wanted to try the pirate nation, deleted my character even and all that's available is Spain
    What is a good nation to join currently? If need be I'll make a second account I guess but I just dove in without researching this. If someone could explain the differences between nations that would be awesome, the info in char creation means nothing to a new player
    Post edited by rayx0r on
  • You can only switch which nation your account is locked to during a ceasefire, otherwise you will have to make a new account or switch servers. (Being a Spaniard on Tiggy does not prevent you from being a rat on Roberts).

PS: a Ceasefire is, if you press R, if there, one nation holds over 299 points at an “update”, that nation “wins the map” and there is a ceasefire for a few days, during that time you can switch which nation your account is actively locked to.
  • edited March 23
    Welcome aboard. I'm probably not the best person to answer. Like you I'm still figuring out this game.

There are four player factions. Pirate has the most players and seems to offer a good flexible play style. It has character types you can't play in anyother nation. The other three nations offer the same game play. The differences are in population and flavor. The Spanish are a large powerful nation. They had the last map win. I don't know any of them, but my understanding is that there are many Russian and Chinese players in the Spanish Faction. The French nation has the lowest population. I rarely see French players though I am sure they are there. The English have many veteran players and some, like me, newer ones. We probably lack the population to get a map win, but I am very happy there and have made many friends.

Regardless of what you decide I recommend at least trying a pirate. They have a compelling play style and some great players. I also recommend trying some of the other player classes.

Once you start playing be sure to ask for help. The game has a healthy learning curve and, regardless of faction there will be many willing to help you master it.

Good luck and see you "In the Red".
  • Thanks Ramelli. That was a very informative reply. I did make characters both Spanish and pirate, though I'm still confused as far as available ships go. Pirate seems very limited unless you capture your own, and unless you're a cutthroat you can't capture and use them. I plan on playing a lot as solo, so big ships don't matter to me but my group play is also limited.
  • edited March 23
    In my approach I've always used the "Fall Back" the game gives me at the start tll at least level 5. At level 5 I sometimes shift to the Dolphyn Catch I got in the Econ Tutorial. Either ship will get you to level 10 when you can buy a Mediator Cutter for 40714 db from the Tortuga Auction House. It will be your first over powered ship and should take you to level 20.

Outfit your ships if you can. People will be willing to help you do it and it makes everything much easier.

Not sure about the capturing of ships. I had planned to try playing a pirate and still hope to, but the mechanics of the game has me more focused on making blood rain from their skuppers...well, not all of them.

Good luck! See you in "The Red"
  • edited March 23
    http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Fallback
    you can use those fallbacks, but that will oblige you to have only one ship instead of the 2 you can use without upgraded account. With the current state of economy anybody can afford to buy the ships in the list that follows, which will be much more suitable for the leveling:
    5 dolphin,12 van hoorn, 20 postillioner, 25 stralsund, 28 athena (if CT capture yourself a raa courier), 35 myrmidon (myrm can take you to 50 just fine, but some players like to try ships so...) 40 conquistador, 43 deliverance, 46 defiant.
    Any vet will happily give you those ships for free, or give you a million doublons to fund their purchase. If anybody refuses to do this tell him Sisu thinks he is a cheap dastard. If you dont like to owe anybody (believe me, that money is peanuts really) just go to any low level port and do the blockading/defending mission from the rebel agent/garrison commander. Get a few easy exp points and a mark of war as reward, sell the mark at ah and you can buy those ships right away. A millionaire in 15 minutes...nobody needs to be poor in this game.
  • So in summary, obtaining ships isn't an issue to worry about if you play a Buc? Guess I'll go that path then. Also thanks again for the info, it's helped a ton
  • Obtaining ships isnt really an issue for anyone tbh... there are always players willing to sort out ships, usually for free.
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • Thanks. Looking at these classes I'm not seeing too many differences really. The salvage skill you get as a buc can be trained by a cutthroat. Some of the buc bonuses seem better but ..Are they?
  • rayx0r said:

Thanks. Looking at these classes I'm not seeing too many differences really. The salvage skill you get as a buc can be trained by a cutthroat. Some of the buc bonuses seem better but ..Are they?

It really depends, each class has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

The buccaneer is more a supportive class (hence its group buffs), but has also a strength in demasting and turning. The cons are mostly the lack of debuffs, the only good debuff it can deliver is the Heated Shot (works through invincible), but that one has a rather large cool down.

So to say the buccaneer bonusses are better than the cutthroat, is not exactly true. It depends on the given circumstances.
    Roberts: William Nighthawk, Jean du Vigny,
    Antigua: Wilma Flintstone, Charles Ragsdale, Octavius Augustus

Youtube Channel

• On a pirate side, if you were in a group its best to have both classes, bucc for the buffs, cutt for the debuffs... Not sure how that works on National Classes but i assume the same applies (NO/FT/PR)
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • i ended up rolling both. i'll play buccaneer for now and cutthroat later.
    thanks for all the support this thread has received. i can say im honestly enjoying this game and look forward to logging in every day. Decided last night to buy some sea notes to support the team and buy a couple things.
    anyway, thanks again for the help.
This discussion has been closed.