-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

(Not trolling!) PotBS compatibility on EG4090u+ with Win7/CPS4090u+? Could malware fry this prober?

Hi,

In the coming months I may be ordering a wafer prober called the Electroglas 4090u+ to test 200mm, 14nm FinFET process or better silicon wafers. (designing a CPU):

While this prober runs MS-DOS by default, it can be retrofitted with modern PC internals (think Intel i5, integrated graphics, a few GB RAM, Windows 7 OS). Total cost of the machine and spare parts is roughly $150,000.

Any recommendations for installing PotBS on this machine? Would GPU and PhysX drivers be an issue? Should I be worried about malware potentially frying the components that the PC internals are connected to?

Comments

• Um this is a very strange request. I would imagine you would be fine, but that is a tentative answer by all means. If your really worried about it, then I would use a virtual machine on any files you download to see if they are malicious or not before actually bringing them into your real machine. Even though it might be possible to use your wafer prober to run games I personally would advise against it.
  • Also don't think drivers would be an issue at all
  • Um this is a very strange request. I would imagine you would be fine, but that is a tentative answer by all means. If your really worried about it, then I would use a virtual machine on any files you download to see if they are malicious or not before actually bringing them into your real machine. Even though it might be possible to use your wafer prober to run games I personally would advise against it.

Thanks for the response.
  • Not strictly related to the game, but:
    forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5033
    https://realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=174426&curpostid=174426
    Above links explain the basics of the CPU design. It'll likely be done in a mixture of Cadence OrCAD, Icarus Verilog and/or Synopsys software, with additional libraries either freely downloaded or bought from Mentor Graphics, GlobalFoundries, TSMC, IBM and/or these companies. Any thoughts from those here?

This CPU, if the design works right, the streams of x86 CISC instructions can be ganged into massive 512-bit wide macro-operations, and it isn't horribly bugged like *cough* current Intel CPUs with their kernel memory sapping/SYSCALL privilege escalation flaw, should perform between 4-40x (!!!) better in singlethreading applications, albeit with a large die size (>600mm^2 for 8 cores) and perhaps low clock speed, on a modern 14nm process, and the first ones off the factory line will sell for over $500,000 a piece. To get around copyright and patent issues, we will strike contracts with AMD and VIA to license the x86 technologies.

This means Passmark singlethreaded scores of over 80,000, Cinebench scores of 300,000 or more and no more excuses for people claiming their CPU is bottlenecking their graphics card.

The CPU ID will most likely look like this:
    CertifiedCBR or CertifiedCTN
    801486-class
    8 core(s), 16 thread(s)
    Model 0 Family 0 Stepping C0
    Extensions supported:
    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, VIA 64, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, AVX-512, CVT16, FMA3, FMA4
This discussion has been closed.