Antigua Server Crash 7/21/2017

Hello,

I hit a fleet with some other players outside of Santa Clara when the server completely crashed. I was kicked out of multiple game instances and sent to the login screen, where no servers were listed. A couple minutes later, the server came back online and I was able to login to only find my Obsolete Invincible First Rate had been sunk by the fleet. Who should I contact in regards to getting a dura refunded due to the crash causing my sink? I have a screenshot here: https://ibb.co/e7ooEk
Antigua | Spain | El Astillero
Current Governor of San Juan
Former Governor of Sisal
Ships of the LineYoutube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC121DmyZzUIDefvUYs8tiiA

Comments

• This was at about 7:28 am central standard time.
    Former Governor of Sisal
    Ships of the LineYoutube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC121DmyZzUIDefvUYs8tiiA
  • Easy NameEasy Name (Forum Moderator)
    customerservice@portalusgames.com

Be Careful of the feet you step on today, They may be connected to the a$$ you have to kiss tommorrow!
    When you're dead you dont know your dead, its only painful for others. Same thing when you're stupid.
  • KasparKKasparK (Forum Moderator)
    Player and Moderator: Moderator-comments are in [ ].
    Occasionally you will see a moderation related comment without [ ]. This is meant as a friendly advice - a 'pre-warning'.

Production Planner Version 2.15 Beta 3 [26/8-2015] : Forum thread - Download via Forum - Download via hosted site
  • Jack O'ConnerJack O'Conner (Forum Moderator)
    There has been no reports on the forums, so this could just be your connection to the server.
    Forum Rules and Policies - Click here
    Forum Rules and Policies direct link - http://portalusgames.com/policy/website-rules/
    If you don't like the way I moderate, message me and it'll help both of us! Click here to message me
    Download Pirates of the Burning Sea Helpful Documents - Contains Economy Tracker, PvP + RvR guides, Guides for Fishing and Graphics overhaul mod!

• This is the report for the crash... I was in teamspeak with several other players, and talking in chat and in group with more players. Everyone online was disconnected from the server and locked out for a bit, and we all got back in at the same exact time. This was an entire server thing, it happened to both US players and EU players on Antigua.

Thanks @KasparK , I initially sent an email regarding it and have now followed up according to the disconnects guideline you linked.
    Former Governor of Sisal
  • No It happened to me fortunately I had not hit the 12pk coming in but was going to but then server dropped all my toons poof. no server available , I seen in nation I wasn't the only one either.
    I'll inform you on what the outcome of that issue is and what will happen to losses on this occasion.
    Forum Rules and Policies direct link - http://portalusgames.com/policy/website-rules/
    If you don't like the way I moderate, message me and it'll help both of us! Click here to message me
    Download Pirates of the Burning Sea Helpful Documents - Contains Economy Tracker, PvP + RvR guides, Guides for Fishing and Graphics overhaul mod!

• Ok thanks appreciate it.
    Former Governor of Sisal
    Do keep in mind that even if all/most was affected it does not mean it was server related - it could be caused by a temp spike / downfall in connection in close proximity to the data center.
    Occasionally you will see a moderation related comment without [ ]. This is meant as a friendly advice - a 'pre-warning'.

Production Planner Version 2.15 Beta 3 [26/8-2015] : Forum thread - Download via Forum - Download via hosted site
  • KasparK said:

Do keep in mind that even if all/most was affected it does not mean it was server related - it could be caused by a temp spike / downfall in connection in close proximity to the data center.

Although, even if that was the case, then its not end users fault and out of their control.....
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    > @Captain Mohag said:
    > Do keep in mind that even if all/most was affected it does not mean it was server related - it could be caused by a temp spike / downfall in connection in close proximity to the data center.
    >
    > Although, even if that was the case, then its not end users fault and out of their control.....

Aswell as it is out of Portalus' controll.

• Yes but the loss of dura would not have happened had the server not disconnected everyone. If it were a fourth rate or even third rate dura, I would not mind at all since I can make those ships in game. But this happened to my Obsolete deed, which only has 2 dura and I paid real money and BSN's for.
    Former Governor of Sisal
    > @Gama33 said:
    > Yes but the loss of dura would not have happened had the server not disconnected everyone. If it were a fourth rate or even third rate dura, I would not mind at all since I can make those ships in game. But this happened to my Obsolete deed, which only has 2 dura and I paid real money and BSN's for.

The issue is the premise "had the server not disconnected".
    You/I/we do not know whether it was the server or not.

All I say is:
    Be aware that there is a difference whether it was server-related or at any point in the connection which is out of Portalus, data center and player control.

What I am NOT saying: Whether it is either.

Copy from my post - yes.
    However, Not my words.

"Portalus will reimburse for reported major in-game losses (e.g. ship dura, outfittings, premium items) due to server connection issues only between the server's ISP and the servers themselves.

Disconnections originating from issues in internet infrastructure, client ISP or client internet connection or home network are not reimbursed.

Reporting disconnections will allow investigation to determine if the disconnection originated at the server or its ISP.
    We cannot provide information regarding the other possible failure points due to insufficient data and accordingly cannot provide much information for troubleshooting outside our server connections."

• Interesting
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    It wasn't an issue related with the server, but the clients that experienced this issue. So unfortunately reimbursements shall not be made.

• Just to clarify for us non-pc terminology peoples, when you say "client" are you referring to the end user, their isp or what?
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
  • Hmm. I still don't see how everyone online getting disconnected simultaneously is not an issue related with the server, but I guess it isn't up to me? Kind of bogus, imo. There's literally no way I could have prevented that sink from happening, I had extra windows opened but the server list wasn't even visible, and people in Teamspeak across the country were confirming the same exact symptoms.
    Former Governor of Sisal
    > @Captain Mohag said:
    > Just to clarify for us non-pc terminology peoples, when you say "client" are you referring to the end user, their isp or what?

Anything in between.

"Disconnections originating from issues in internet infrastructure, client ISP or client internet connection or home network are not reimbursed.

We cannot provide information regarding the other possible failure points due to insufficient data and accordingly cannot provide much information for troubleshooting outside our server connections."

Example:
    Travelling by bus between 2 cities, there are several connection points(other cities) in between.
    Somewhere on the line the road is broken(storm flood or tipped threes).
    So the road infrastructure is interrupted.

Is that the bus companys fault.

• I've lost many ship in DC ( PvP or PvE) sent them what is needed but never took them back.
  • KasparK said:

> @Captain Mohag said:

> Just to clarify for us non-pc terminology peoples, when you say "client" are you referring to the end user, their isp or what?

Anything in between.

"Disconnections originating from issues in internet infrastructure, client ISP or client internet connection or home network are not reimbursed.

Example:

Travelling by bus between 2 cities, there are several connection points(other cities) in between.

Somewhere on the line the road is broken(storm flood or tipped threes).

So the road infrastructure is interrupted.

Is that the bus companys fault.

I didn't ask for your opinion as to who was at fault, merely asked for clarification....
    As you are unable to tell me, i shall wait patiently for someone who actually knows to answer, but thankyou for your time
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    Client end could be the connection to the server, ISP issues or even just a hiccup during the traffic sending and receiving.

(What I believe anyway)

• thankyou Jack, still not really informative though. So i ask that until an ACTUAL definition comes along, opinions aren't really helpful.

I'm only asking the questions that others wont. In the real world of financial drama's, and the current world of everyone suing everyone else for anything, it comes down to this....
    Someone has spent REAL money on something, which they have lost, apparently through no fault of their own. Which mean that they have suffered provable loss, in which case someone must be liable for this. Generally its down to a court to decide, but for the sake of a couple of dollars, hardly worth it. But the principle is the same.

Now it is a known fact that disconnects are very common in the game. When multiple people disconnect there is no way it is the end users fault, because co-incidences, whilst they do happen, dont occur on the frequency that it happens in game. Well if it is not the fault of the gamer, and its not the fault of the server, then who is held liable? the ISP of the server? in which case, Portalus being their client, would seek recompense from them, after compensating their customers (us). This is why the game has ship insurance, which is fantastic. Doesn't cover REAL money spent in the game though. Surely its just easier for a quick log in, and add a point of dura and some fitts to a ship??
    Which is exactly what they did for me on a fleet when my whole group dc'ed and i lost a terror dura. They merely logged the toon, added the dura and fitts, and presto.

Simples.

The Reapers
    Antigua.
    I am not offering any opinion.

I will repeat it one more time:
    "We cannot provide information regarding the other possible failure points due to insufficient data and accordingly cannot provide much information for troubleshooting outside our server connections."

• yes, i can read, thanks. and i can understand too! i'm well educated. except that does NOT answer my question. as you cannot answer it i shall wait for an actual employee of Portalus to answer, again, thankyou for your time.
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    To be direct - it seems you do not understand.

You want to know what caused it if not something under Portalus and/or data center control.

"We cannot provide information regarding the other possible failure points due to insufficient data"

What you ask require Portalus and/or datacenter to monitor any and everything going on/happening regarding internet infrastructure.

It is out of their control hence insufficient data.

The logs are clear in regards to connection termination - it shows whether the server disconnected the player or the player disconnected.
    Whether the player disconnected him/herself or communication/connection was lost/impeeded between player/players/regions/countries or continents cannot be established by the game server.

Server side failures are reimbursed - other possible failure points inflicted losses are not.

Nowhere is said that it is the end users fault.
    However, as in my example that does not mean it is the bus companys fault or responsibility.

Go ahead and wait, expect to wait long.

Last time I'll bother giving this explanation.
    It is like that and have been for as long as I know.

I will however give some examples of what could have caused it - when I got time.

• Kaspar, it seems everytime i ask something legitimate you jump on me. so how about you just dont, eh?
    my post did not require a response from you, i said i shall wait, and i am a very patient man.
    The Reapers
    Antigua.
    edited July 22

Kaspar, it seems everytime i ask something legitimate you jump on me. so how about you just dont, eh?
    my post did not require a response from you, i said i shall wait, and i am a very patient man.

Jump you, no I don't.

Have you considered there may be others following this thread - the information is as much for them as for you - if wanted. If not - don't read.

I'm only asking the questions that others wont.
    Simples.

I am giving the information that CAN be given at/from/via the platform/place you placed your inquiry.
    Simples as you say.

My posts do not require you to read nor answer them.

The companies handling the internet infrastructure is not gonna come here and answer your question.

In relation to that and my previous promise to give examples - I'll start by bringing attention to Dyn.

http://dyn.com/blog/who-controls-the-internet/

https://www.dynstatus.com/

ppl might remember how the internet was affected when this happened.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Dyn_cyberattack

ADDED: http://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/comment/1339754#Comment_1339754

• I appreciate your time and clarification, @KasparK . I'm okay with living with one less dura, but I feel like the rules on replacing dura ought to be less like rules, and a little more like guidelines...

I don't mean to push at you or anything, I just feel it is a shame that in a situation like this where Real Money has been spent and paid to portalus for in-game purchases, in an extenuating situation like this that really was out of anybody's control, those with the power to still cannot replace the dura simply because the fault was not theirs. I would hope that maybe someone in the Portalus crew would understand where I am coming from, because when something like this happens it's very discouraging for me to buy BSN in the future when those being paid by it refuse/are held back from assisting due to old guidelines that yes make sense from a technical standpoint, but in this situation it's nobody's fault that the dura was lost but it was still lost due to a disconnection of sorts. On the other hand if the "rules" could be sort of side-stepped and the dura refunded because of this, it would show, dare I say, a compassionate side to the customer service aspect of Portalus. Nevertheless, I respect the rules of the game and won't press any further, again thank you for the time and effort for the game maintenance, I just wish the human-aspect of moderators could kick in and help me out here, seeing as the item in question was quite valuable.
    Former Governor of Sisal
  • Had I actually hit that 12pk , instead of waiting My Indom and Sov would have been lost and you better believe I would have been sending in letter for replacement to portalus. , There was no sign on screen there was no server to get back, I feel badly you lost a dur on your precious line ship.. I do ,and I hope you get it replaced. I mean really what will it cost for them to add it back? You might be inclined to buy more bsns in the future.
    Gama33 said:

I appreciate your time and clarification, @KasparK . I'm okay with living with one less dura, but I feel like the rules on replacing dura ought to be less like rules, and a little more like guidelines...

I don't mean to push at you or anything, I just feel it is a shame that in a situation like this where Real Money has been spent and paid to portalus for in-game purchases, in an extenuating situation like this that really was out of anybody's control, those with the power to still cannot replace the dura simply because the fault was not theirs. I would hope that maybe someone in the Portalus crew would understand where I am coming from, because when something like this happens it's very discouraging for me to buy BSN in the future when those being paid by it refuse/are held back from assisting due to old guidelines that yes make sense from a technical standpoint, but in this situation it's nobody's fault that the dura was lost but it was still lost due to a disconnection of sorts. On the other hand if the "rules" could be sort of side-stepped and the dura refunded because of this, it would show, dare I say, a compassionate side to the customer service aspect of Portalus. Nevertheless, I respect the rules of the game and won't press any further, again thank you for the time and effort for the game maintenance, I just wish the human-aspect of moderators could kick in and help me out here, seeing as the item in question was quite valuable.

It does not only make sense from a technical standpoint.

There is another logic reason as to why disconnects outside Portalus' control is not reimbursed.

Scenario:
    You are in an in-game fight, close to loosing, you disengage connection(close the game, disable your net-connection) and then file for reimbursement.
    It can be misused hence it will be misused and therefor not reimbursed.