-Please make sure you have verified your forum account email address.
For security reasons logins using your Username is disabled.
-If you created your forum account prior to October 2013 and did not login to that account on the Vanilla hosted forum between June 2015 - July 2018 then all password reset attempts will fail. You can login with "BurningSea.com"(game-account) or you can create a new account to fully access the forum.

How to: Install PotBS with no issues

Jack O'ConnerJack O'Conner (Forum Moderator)
Forum Rules and Policies - Click here
Forum Rules and Policies direct link - http://portalusgames.com/policy/website-rules/
If you don't like the way I moderate, message me and it'll help both of us! Click here to message me
Download Pirates of the Burning Sea Helpful Documents - Contains Economy Tracker, PvP + RvR guides, Guides for Fishing and Graphics overhaul mod!

Comments

• KasparKKasparK (Forum Administrator)
    edited April 2016
    If the installer does not run correctly - it might be that your windows account in an user/standard account.

Administrator right are needed to complete the installation:
    Go to your downloads folder.
    Right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator'

If the installer does not start - your firewall might be blocking the installer. Consult support for your firewall on how to allow a program.

If the games cannot start or connect online/login after the installation have finished - your firewall might blocking the game exe file. Consult support for your firewall on how to allow a program.
    Support your game. Head over to the BSN-store:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Store
  • Jack O'ConnerJack O'Conner (Forum Moderator)
    Thank you for the input Kaspar! :)
    Forum Rules and Policies direct link - http://portalusgames.com/policy/website-rules/
    If you don't like the way I moderate, message me and it'll help both of us! Click here to message me
    Download Pirates of the Burning Sea Helpful Documents - Contains Economy Tracker, PvP + RvR guides, Guides for Fishing and Graphics overhaul mod!

• Red JaqRed Jaq (Forum Moderator)
    I don't know if this is the place to ask but I have a guy with loading issues. I directed him to the video which he says he watched. He keeps getting the Oxc0150004 error. Can you guys help?
    Yes, I am familiar with the person you speak of. He commented on the video I believe and I gave them some instructions. But since i'm not at my computer at the moment I am of no help but this could be many things such as a bad stick of memory, OS corruption, installation corruption or invalid directX/microsoft visual C++

Without replies from the person and what he has done doesn't help us narrow it down much unfortunately.

• Getting "can not fine Unicode 149" runs for a while then crashes
    Try running the Bitraider again and see if you have missed any patching files and then click full repair to thoroughly check

Always have the unicode garmond 149 error in my log - never had issue with it though.

It is in the potbs log.

I recall a setting for fonts - I'll get back with info later.
    Correction, this is what I get in my log:
    WARNING UI: Unable to find unicode character 149 in font garamond12

dixie7me:
    If repatching / performing the full repair does not solve the issue, could you please post/link your logfiles
    How to find them : http://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/100459/logfiles

Suspecting the unicode error is not the cause for the crash.

The setting for fonts I recalled does not include garamond12

• Still having all kinds of stuff going on crash crash crash, I love this game and joined a week after it was released. Can I mail you my computer and pay you to fix it... lol

• I am having an issue that I would like to know if it is common or just me. My game plays fine for quite a while, but then, for no apparent reason, it crashes, saying I am out of memory. HOWEVER, I have 16 gb and the the game is using only a little over 1GB. My system says it is using 15-20 % of the memory . so I am NOT out of memory. Can you help??
    This is the game issue. You often get this if you run full textures in game, although we'd all love to run full textures... There simply is no way around it apart from editing the maxmem in the potbs ini file but even that isn't guaranteed.

Setting the textures to the middle setting have resulted in a 99,9999999999% 'out-of-mem'-free experience for me. Thats over the last 4 years or so.
    I might just investigate that ini file later to see what I can come up with.

• Thanks very much for the quick response . I think I will try the INI thing first, since I LOVE the textures on my 27 inch screen!! LOL if it continues I will try turning the textures down.

Thanks very much for the quick response . I think I will try the INI thing first, since I LOVE the textures on my 27 inch screen!! LOL if it continues I will try turning the textures down.

Good luck!

• Well, I hate to tell you this, but -- First I looked at the .ini file and decided I did not want to tackle that, so I went into preferences and discovered that I already had my textures turned down to the center of the bar ( and they had been there when I was having all the memory crashes.). Decided to turn it down the rest of the way, and, lo and behold -- SAME SONG, SECOND VERSE! Still getting the memory crashes. HELP, Please. (And Thanks in advance!)
    edited June 2016
    There's a bug when textures are set high - hence the advice to set in the middle.

Back in the day right after launch a handfull of technicians/developers/staff with a line of pc's investigated the issue for a month(i believe it was) - but it was hardly experienced and the few times it was - data/results pointed both east and west - so it ended in-conclusive.

Suggestions 1
    I'm not aware that setting it to the low position should help for anything - so I'd advice you set it back to the middle position.
    Changing it and changing it back could 'kick' something in place.

I have 16gb aswell and as mentioned hardly ever experience 'out of memory' anymore - for several years back.

When the game engine was created the normal amount of memory was much lower.
    I know from Fodderboy that the situation have been experienced much more often as the 'normal' amount of memory expanded over the years.
    16 gb is afterall at least 4 times the amount of memory I recall having or being the 'normal' back then.

2 Potential Suggestions
    Most of the incidents I recall as solved by changing the texture setting. That would be somewhere between 95-100%. Of the rest - some, 30-40-50%, was solved by either reinstall the game or/and windows.
    That leave some still...
    There is sooo maaaannnyyy different hardware models out there and many more combination-possibilties.
    Theres the possibility that the cause is incompability: game/software vs hardware - potentially with factor x(software) added).

I'm running Asus Motherboard, Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics, Kingston Memory - thats just the brands then comes all the possible models.

Suggestions 2
    As too testing out whether some software(and to some degree some hardware causes it) you can install windows in a virtual machine(just minimize the memory to f.ex. 2gb).

Suggestion 3
    You don't have to tackle the INI that's already there - you should not change that - it will be reverted next time you launch the game.

Open notepad

Add this
    [UI] sdc=true [ClientInfoManager] maxMemUsage=1800000000

save it as
    pirates_local.ini
    in the root of your game folder(same place as the pirates.ini

make sure it is not saved, accidentally, as pirates_local.ini.txt

maxMemUsage is normally set to 1500000000
    I have mine at 1800000000
    But I recall having it lower than the standard on a laptop at some time.

Try out different values, Start going higher than the 1,5 standard.
    1100000000 is the lowest I'd go.

Please do consider that multiple changes/suggestions might be required for the issue to surcome.

Suggestion 4
    Reinstalling (not just updating/installing on top) - meaning uninstalling and re-installing graphics driver, legacy physx driver, directx driver(found in \programdata\bitraider\cache\dx might be smart just to clear that out right away.
    Remember restarting...

If you descide to reinstall Windows - for testing purposes - only update windows, install graphics driver and game (whatever A/V u use ofc) - but keep everything else out.
    Post edited by KasparK on
  • OK for what it is worth , again, I did add the local ini file and have it set to 2400000000.
    I put the texture slider back to the middle. I check all the other sliders, and, turned most of them down to the middle also. I am STILL getting out of memory crashes, after about an hour or so of playing if I try to sw toons, or PORT travel someplace. It seems I can sail as long as I want, and fight and do missions, and all that stuff as long as I dont try to port or sw toons. ANYWAY, I have decided that rather than reload windows or all my drivers or anything else drastic, I will just live with it.

HOWEVER, I am now getting another error, and have no idea what is causing it. it is a video thing, and what is appears, is that suddenly there are black lines running from all the points of anything that has a point. Like sails , masts, bowsprits, etc. IF i log and restart, it goes away. what the heck is it, (AND My video drivers ARE current.)

Thanks again, for all your help.

Which brand(and as extra info model) graphic card do u have?

my reply wil Be delayed as im at a work party and will require some 'recovery' time tomorrorow
    Change:
    Options > Preferences > Video > 'Enable Full Screen Vertical Sync'.

As a test try changing the screen refresh rate (both in-game and Windows/graphic cards control).

Another suggestion from a random googling:

If AMD and laptop, Win 7:
    "Change you Power Plan to High Performance (in battery and plugged-in).
    Go to Control Panel>Power Options>Change advanced power settings> ATI Graphics Power Settings> ATI Powerplay settings> On battery, Plugged in: Maximum Performance.
    Go to Control Panel>Power Options>Change advanced power settings> PCI Express> Link State Power Management> On battery, Plugged in: Off.
    Disable Aero (Choose the Windows 7 Basic theme)
    Restart your PC."

• sorry for delay in answering - thought was solved but began again tonight. Video card - nvidia gtx 950 and I am not on a laptop and am running windows 10 on an AMD fx 6300 6 core processor, with 16 gb of Ram and a 2 tb hard drive.
  • OO also is a 64 bit system, not 32.
    Hi.

I've been doing some research on this.

Some reported their card being the problem.

Some changed to another cable / port (VGA <-> DVI <-> HDMI)
    (Also try with another monitor if possible).

Try running potbs windowed/not full-screen mode.
    Press ALT+Enter or go to Options > Preferences > Video > untick 'Enable Full Screen' in-game.
    Does it happen with full-screen-mode enabled and disabled?

Have you tried this in-game?
    "Change:
    Options > Preferences > Video > 'Enable Full Screen Vertical Sync'."

Uninstall drivers completly - reinstall - but only the drivers ( via custom install)
    Only install the legacy PhysX
  • Well, for what it is worth, It is happening VERY seldom at this point. Since it is so infrequent, I am just going to ignore it. When it does happen, i just relog and it goes away. ALSO for your info, I did run it in windowed mode for a while and it did NOT happen, but I switched back to full screen in less than an hour, because I have so much stuff on the screen I needed full screen to see it all. LOL ( I am running ALL the extra bars, with three horizontal across the bottom and two vertical down the right side, and the mini map in the juncture between the two sets.)

Also, I am running the full screen vertical sync. - tho I have not noticed a difference with or without it.

I really appreciate all your help and time.
    Thanks very much

Kandie Kane
    Fleet Admiral
    Counts of Caribbean Commerce
  • HELP! every time I try to download I keep getting a message that said "No communication with UI" or something like that? I need help plz
    Hi.
    Make sure you have the newest installer.
    http://burningsea.com/download
    AND run it as administrator

Else look at the 'Unable to communicate with External UI' section

http://forums.burningsea.com/discussion/comment/1335329/#Comment_1335329

• I cant run that one I have windows 10 sir KasparK now what?
  • When I try to open the game, the launcher doesn't even come up for me to repair it?