Game Crash & Lag

KasparKKasparK (Forum Moderator)
edited December 2016 in Frequently Answered Questions

Game Crashes:

Question: What is a game crash?
Answer: Generally speaking if the game completely shut down and had to be completely restarted again - you regrettably experienced a game crash.
However it is possible to have a crash without the whole client closing down. Rare but possibly.

Question: What causes crashes?
Answer: Crashes are usually caused by a conflict between the game and the client PC's hardware, software or configuration settings. There's no way to guarantee that the game will run perfectly on every possible combination of hardware, software and configuration settings. This can mean that should a crash occur you may need to make adjustments to your PC or game settings in order to stop or reduce incidents of the game crashing.

~

Question: What can I do to prevent crashes?
Answer 1: Lowering 'Texture Resolution' will significantly minimize crashes.
How-To change it:
Options > Preferences > Video > Texture Resolution.
Set it at 1 - the middle position.

Answer 2: Setting 'Screen Resolution' as recommended can minimize crashes.
Having the in-game screen-resolution higher than your graphics card's native/recommended resolution might cause the game to crash.
Using your graphics card's native/recommended resolution(or lower) is - recommended.
How-To:
Finding your graphics card's recommended resolution:
Press the Windows Logo' + 'R' keys on your keyboard.
Insert this and press enter : rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl
Open the 'Resolution' dropdown-menu - notice the resolution with 'Recommended' after it.

Changing game resolution:
Go to the In-game Options - Preferences > Video > Full Screen Resolution.

~

Question: PotBS crashes with a 'Game Data Corruption' error - what to do ?
Answer: Take a look at the 'Game Data Corruption' section

Question: This didn't solve my problem, now what?
Answer: Sry, but we are still here to help you.:
Please post a detailed description about your issue here: 'Game-Help'-section.
Please attach logfiles. How To: Log Files

~

Lag:

Question: I experience lag and/or frame rate (FPS) drops every 10 seconds or so, how to avoid it?
Answer: Being in a society, the game checks for offline members towards the game server - this is active by default - but it can be de-activated.
How-To:
Press 'O' (Opens the 'Social'-window).
Select the 'Society'-tab.
In the lower right corner - remove the tick next to 'Show offline members'.
Regrettably, it is necessary to do this at each login.
Note: Even if you are not in a society - disabling the 'Show offline members' might still help.

Question: This didn't solve my problem, now what?
Please post a detailed description about your issue here: 'Game-Help'-section.
Please attach logfiles. How To: Log Files

~

Question: I experienced a game crash and lost a item - what can I do?
Answer: Portalus will reimburse for reported major in-game losses (e.g. ship dura, outfittings, premium items) due to server connection issues only between the server's ISP and the servers themselves.

Disconnections originating from issues in internet infrastructure, client ISP or client internet connection or home network are not reimbursed.

In game losses that occur due to a game crash are generally not reimbursed however we are willing to investigate reported crashes to help where we can with troubleshooting the cause of the crash.

Question: This didn't cover what I wanted to know?
Refer to the other FAQ-posts or post your question here: 'Game-Help'-section.

Wanna give a thumbs up, some feedback or alert us that something is missing? Provide Feedback
Player and Moderator: Moderator-comments are in [ ].
Occasionally you will see a moderation related comment without [ ]. This is meant as a friendly advice - a 'pre-warning'.

Production Planner Version 2.15 Beta 3 [26/8-2015] : Forum thread - Download via Forum - Download via hosted site
Post edited by KasparK on